An art teacher is required to provide art instruction to elementary, middle or high school students, with the aim of creating an interest in the subject amongst pupils and assisting them to express themselves through the medium of art.
If you have an extensive understanding of the various forms of art, enjoy imparting your knowledge and are eager to encourage creativity and expression amongst youngsters, a job as an art teacher might be ideal for you.
Though responsibilities of an art teacher may vary depending on the age of students and the school level they are at, general requirements would be to:
1) Plan classes and appropriate assignments according to course requirements.
2) Explain various elements of art.
3) Introduce techniques and procedures for painting, sketching, designing and sculpting.
4) Impart knowledge on the history of art, illustration and commercial art through lectures and audio-video aids.
5) Encourage students to develop personal styles and express themselves though the medium of art.
6) Evaluate assignments – make observations and offer constructive criticism.
7) Organise field trips to museums and art galleries.
8) Foster an atmosphere conducive to the intellectual, social and emotional development of pupils.
9) Grade and maintain records of student performance.
10) Counsel students when academic or adjustment problems arise.
11) Plan contests and organise exhibitions.Create this Resume
Knowledge and skills:
1) Extensive knowledge and interest in various art forms and the history of their development.
2) Good teaching skills, which make classes interesting for pupils and encourage them to participate.
3) Diversified knowledge of various art forms, such as digital arts, photography, printmaking, cinematography, calligraphy, jewellery designing and fashion designing may also be beneficial.
4) Patience and approachability so that students feel comfortable to express themselves freely.
5) The ability to work with disabled students may sometimes be necessary.
Educational qualifications and experience:
1) A Bachelor’s or higher degree, with a major or minor in art is normally essential. A specialisation in fine arts, visual arts or studio arts is beneficial.
2) Experience of at least 2 years is generally preferred.
3) Certification or a license from the Department of Education, sometimes with an endorsement in arts may be required.
Salary and Benefits:
1) Average salaries for K-12 teachers range between $30,000 and $50,000 per year.
2) Most schools offer paid vacation, medical, life insurance and 403(b) or 401(k) benefits.
3) Some employers offer reimbursement benefits to those pursuing further education or training programmes.