A Chief Technology Officer or CTO is responsible for the development and implementation of technology in an organisation, in line with the company’s strategic goals and usually oversees the research and development department.
Chief Technology Officer Job Duties:
If you have a strong technical background, are interested in developing new technology and want to use these skills in a strategic management position, the job of a Chief Technology Officer might be perfect for you. This position is most commonly found in the software development or application, internet, new media and financial services industries.
Responsibilities would include:
1) Developing or upgrading technology in a company, that assists it in the pursuance of its goals.
2) Working closely with the research and development and marketing teams to invent new products or services or enhancements to old ones.
3) Ensuring quality control by establishing technical standards which have to be adhered to.
4) Advising top management about timely investments in appropriate new technology.
5) Internally, explaining the outcomes of implementing new technology to the board, employees and suppliers.
6) Externally, advising clients how the implementation of new technology will enhance their business.
7) Work with customers to understand what improvements they require in the product or service.
8) Fostering an efficient research and development team.
9) Keeping abreast of and anticipating developments in the relevant technological field.Create this Resume
Chief Technology Officer Knowledge and Skills:
1) A deep technical knowledge of the particular field is essential.
2) A discerning mind is required to be able to decide which technology will further a company’s goals and how to implement the same.
3) Ability to adapt quickly and integrate ever changing market and technology trends with the company’s goals.
4) Good written and verbal skills to be able to effectively communicate internally and externally the impact of adopting a new technology.
Chief Technology Officer Educational Qualifications and Experience:
1) A Master or Bachelor of Science degree in the relevant field, for example in electrical engineering or computer science is required
2) Experience of at least 10 years is essential.
3) Other qualifications often sought include Project Management Professional (PMP) and in the information technology industry, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA),
Chief Technology Officer Salary and Benefits:
1) Average annual Chief Technology Officer salaries are between $110,000 and $200,000, including bonuses, commission and profit sharing.
2) Benefits commonly offered include stock options, medical, dental, 401(k), paid vacation and stock options.