4 Insights That Could Shape Your 2020 Job Hunt
Employment in the U.S. is strong, making for a job seekers’ market.
Whether you’re hoping to reenter the workplace or you’re trying to get your foot in the door in a new industry, all workers have an advantage when unemployment is low and competition between employers is fierce.
To help you get started, we surveyed recent employment and career research for insights that have the power to shape the job hunt in 2020 (and beyond).
We divided our research into four stories. Here’s what we found:
Blue-collar workers are excelling in today’s economy.
Most workers without college degrees saw their pay increase by 10 percent. In the past three years, white-collar workers have seen their wages grow by nearly 7.5 percent. (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)without college degreeswhite-collar workers
The number of days it takes to fill an open position for skilled production work (e.g., welding, machining) rose from 70 to 93 days between 2015 and 2018. (Deloitte and the Manufacturing Institute)70 to 93 days
Job interviews are an extremely important part of the hiring process — and first impressions are paramount.
About one-third of bosses (33 percent) know within the first 90 seconds of the interview whether they’re going to hire someone. (Come Recommended and Classes & Careers)know within the first 90 seconds
People who use mental imagery of feeling confident and in control before a job interview had a higher performance and lower stress than those who don’t. (Journal of Managerial Psychology)
Taking a career break is easier than it used to be.
Eighty-four percent of millennials foresee taking significant breaks during their career. (Manpower Group)millennials taking breaks during their career
More companies are willing to be somewhat flexible regarding career breaks. Here’s the percentage of companies that accept the following:
Phasing into retirement by working reduced hours (54 percent of employers allow some employees to do so)
Sabbaticals and return to a comparable job (28 percent)
Extended career breaks for caregiving or other personal or family responsibilities (52 percent)
Special consideration when returning to the organization after an extended career break (20 percent)
Age discrimination is real and increasingly common as more people work into retirement.
The number of age-related discrimination charges filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission by workers aged 65+ doubled from 1990 to 2017. A total of 18,376 cases were filed in 2017. (EEOC)
A healthy majority of seniors (62 percent) say they’re working for the money while the other 38 percent say they’re working for personal reasons. (Provision Living)working for the moneyworking for personal reasons
Regardless of where you are in your career journey, these employment and career stats will help inform your job hunt. Read these reports, get informed and you’ll be ready for your next gig.
Bonus: Key Stats for Journalists
We have gathered important facts and statistics on job seekers, hiring managers and employers for journalists who report on careers and employment.