If you’re like most people, you get nervous and worried when it’s time to go to an interview. This is a natural response because you want to make a good impression. Everyone is afraid of saying the wrong thing, stumbling over words and being asked questions that you simply don’t have any idea of how to answer. How you respond can mean the difference between getting a job and being turned away so a lot is riding on the interview answers that you give.
You only get one shot to make a great impression so you’ve got to make the most of it. The best way to do that is by having an answer for the questions you’re asked without appearing nervous, worried or having to ask for time to think about it for a few minutes. In an interview, you need to be quick and responsive, ready for anything. Going over your answers to the questions that are asked the most in advance will make it easier for you give the best interview answers possible without hesitating.
Here are a few ways to answer some of the most commonly asked questions:
• When asked ‘What makes you a good candidate for the position available?’ get right to the point and talk about the qualities you have that apply directly to the position you’re applying for.
• The question ‘Why are you interested in working for us?’ can best be answered by researching the company and learning as much about them as possible. Find out how working for them can benefit your career goal?
• The best answer to the dreaded question ‘Why did you leave your last job or why are you looking for another?’ would be to say to further your career. No one can fault you for wanting to advance and move up. However, if you were terminated it will be a little harder to explain. Always stay positive and upbeat when answering this question even if you were terminated or laid off. Never sound bitter or resentful towards your previous employer.
• When asked ‘Can you work when under a lot of pressure?’ saying that you don’t panic and you stay focus to make sure nothing important gets overlooked or neglected is one of the best answers. You shouldn’t say that you live for it because everyone wants a break once in a while even if they thrive under pressure nor should you indicate that you cave under pressure.
• When asked the question ‘What motivates you most?’ you can answer several ways such as, being the best you can at your career goal or being recognized for your achievements. Never say making more money.
• One of the toughest questions to answer is ‘What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?’ because you don’t want to say you’re great at everything, no one is but you don’t want to cut yourself down either. Highlight your strengths. If you’re a great motivator or a creative problem solver, say so. When it comes to your weaknesses never put yourself down. Answers such as, you have a tendency of pushing too hard or spending too much time on details are good.
When answering interview questions you should never talk bad about previous employers or co-workers. It makes you appear to be someone who cannot get along with others. These are examples of interview answers that can be used for some of the most common questions asked during job interviews. They can give you an idea of how to prepare so you can relax and be your charming self.