Transferable Skills Career Quiz – Question #1You want a job as an office manager. But all your prior experience has been in a restaurant as a waitress and hostess. You want to show the new employer that you have the basic skills to take on office administration duties. Come up with 10 transferable skills to help get you the office manager job.Oh…and please don’t peek below for my answers yet. Try to come up with them yourself. You may find ones I never thought of.||Possible transferable skills for a restaurant worker wanting a job as an office manager:
- Ordered and managed supplies for the restaurant.
- When needed, met with new suppliers, and submitted written reports with recommendations to management.
- Created an online inventory system using Microsoft Excel.
- Prepared each day for opening, making sure to replenish table and counter supplies. Added items to “supplies to buy” list when low.
- Came up with a new way to organize the supply room, making it easier for staff to find what they needed. Resulted in less items being over-ordered.
- Helped train new employees on basic restaurant duties, including how to use the cash register and deal with tough customers.
- Created PowerPoint presentations to help with trainings.
- Prepared daily menu inserts using Microsoft Word.
- Tallied daily receipts and submitted reports to Manager.
- Handled incoming calls and emails for reservations.
- Used online seating chart software to track reservations.
- Resolved over-booking or missed booking issues.
- Helped with filing and record keeping.
- Excellent customer relations skills.
- Met all deadlines on time.
- Managed petty cash.
Transferable Skills Career Quiz – Question #2You want a job as an IT business analyst. But, to date, your prior experience has been working as an administrative assistant and then an office manager. You want to show the new employer that you have the basic skills to take on IT business analyst responsibilities. Come up with 10 transferable skills to help get you the IT business analyst job.My list of possible answers below. Remember…please don’t peek yet. Try to come up with them yourself. You may find ones I never thought of.||Possible transferable skills for an office a manager wanting a job as an IT business analyst:
- Regularly works with staff and senior executives to assess office systems performance (automated and non-automated) and come up with potential business process improvements.
- Oversees implementation of all approved business process improvement projects.
- Liaisons to the IT systems group to represent user needs during automated system upgrades and new development.
- Created organizational charts reflecting responsibilities of each group and staff member.
- Worked with IT developers to help redesign the user interface to OFFSYS, the company office administration program.
- Handles inter-office communications, including writing and transmitting bulletins, updates and monthly progress reports.
- Tracks and monitors deadlines for office projects and deliverables.
- Works with vendors to assure timely and cost-effective completion of contracts.
- Prepares written documents for Board meetings using Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Coordinates all official office communication to and from Board members.
- Manages office administration staff deadlines and productivity standards.
- Skilled at Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel; familiar with Microsoft Project Manager and Visio.
More articles you might enjoy: