Salary is usually the most important element of job offers, but you should also make a benefits package evaluation. Job benefits do not seem to be an important thing to discuss when you receive a job offer. Most people only focus on getting a well-paid job and they often forget that benefits such as health insurance is a critical point in a job offer.
If you receive a benefits package, you have to evaluate it carefully. These benefits are always negotiable. A good plan of benefits can include several additional perks, besides some basic one such as life/health insurance, flextime, retirement programs, reimbursement for education, dependent care, dental insurance, etc.
Employers know that providing the ideal benefits help employees to increase their productivity. When they offer a job position, they must include some benefits and a good salary. The benefits package that employers offer can include the things you need to be comfortable with your new job. On the other hand, if this package does not include the benefits you are looking for your job, you can discuss them with your employer. It is probably you can get the benefits you consider important to you, but the salary will decrease.
The following are some of the basic elements that a benefits package usually includes:
- General Coverage: These benefits can cover your closed relatives, but you have to agree with your employer about it.
- Medical insurance: It can have pre-existing conditions that you have to evaluate.
- Dental insurance: It often doesn’t include dental esthetic operations.
- Vision/eye care insurance: if you work every day in front of a computer, this benefit is great. Nowadays, many companies offer this benefit due to most employees use technological devices.
- Life insurance: Most companies include this benefit for their job offers to protect your family if you have a serious accident.
- Vacation: This is a common benefit. Companies usually offer their employers a moth of vacation per year.
- Holidays: Each country has special days when companies stop their normal activities, and employees don’t work, but they receive their salary of that day.
- Employee assistant programs: If employees have problems with drugs, alcohol or cigarette they can use this program to start a new life and increase their production at company.
- Sick/personal days: If you are sick or you have a big trouble by which you have to absent from work, you can ask your employer for a license.
- Overtime: if you work extra hours, you can ask for a financial reward. However, this point must be considered in your employment contract. Not all companies allow their employees to work extra time.
The list above shows the most common employees benefits programs that companies offer. Nevertheless, there are many others that you can negotiate with your salary. You must not forget to make a benefits package evaluation; you must analyze the pros and cons of each benefit. Not all benefits are as good as they seem, don’t forget it.