Crafting a quality resume can go a long way toward helping you get the job you want, but it is wise to follow updated tips and information as resume rules often change with the times. Resume templates provide useful guidance for building your own. A professional resume is often the preferred style for anyone who has prior experience in the industry for which he or she is applying. This type is focused, experience-driven and very by the book. The information that accompanies the template below can help you put together a stellar resume.
What to Include in a Professional Camp Counselor Resume
A professional resume should contain structured information that gives plenty of focus to relevant past employment. A well-structured resume can help set your application apart and make it more likely for you to obtain an interview. List your work experience in descending chronological order, and leave off any positions in a different field. A professional resume should have other specific sections as well, including a summary, a skills section and education.
Common Resume Fails: Mistakes to Avoid
- Listing Work Experience out of Order: Your work experience should always start with the most recent item and then work backward. Placing your experience out of order can be confusing for a potential employer who doesnt have much time to spend reading through each resume.
- Using Weak Language: Try to use descriptive words that can be measured as much as possible. Positive adjectives that are subjective at best cant be as easily backed up with evidence.
- Placing Important Skills Near the Bottom: A potential employer will only keep reading a resume if he thinks the applicant has potential. Be sure to make your resume top heavy by putting your most important skills and attributes toward the beginning.
- Using Negative Language: Your resume is not the place to bash old employers or yourself. Make sure all negative language is left off.
- Not Making Your Resume Unique: Tailor your resume to each job for which you are applying. You dont need to start from scratch, but make any necessary adjustments to the information so the employer can tell you had the current job youre applying for in mind.
52 Olive Drive, Santa Monica, CA 11111
Professional camp counselor with 10 years of experience. A driven and outgoing leader devoted to helping youth realize their potential through structured play. Trained to work with children with sensitive needs, including behavioral or physical challenges. Seeking position as lead camp counselor in order to build upon strengths and gain further experience in a professional setting.
Experience developing and implementing four-week programs
Background training new counselors
Thorough knowledge of first aid and CPR
Funding and recruitment
Goal driven while remaining cognizant of youths needs
Experience leading middle school basketball leagues
Ability to anticipate needs and act accordingly
Excellent interpersonal skills
Proficient in singing and guitar
6/1/2013 ? 8/1/2015
Camp Castaway ? Santa Monica, CA
Oversaw 15 youth and participated in activities with all attendees.
Helped lead training sessions for new hires.
Created indoor and outdoor activities.
Bunked with campers and diffused any arguments.
Led campfire meetings.
Kept administrative records.
Maintained confidentiality when needed.
Enacted professional boundaries while still connecting with campers.
Formulated guidelines for campers with allergies.
6/1/2008 ? 8/1/2012
Tiger Kat Kamp ? Santa Monica, CA
Participated in daily activities.
Was responsible for eight campers.
Adjusted activities and lesson plans as needed.
Provided support to other counselors.
Acted as lead on an as-needed basis.
Collaborated on group projects.
Volunteered to help campers who needed extra assistance.
Formed lasting relationships with campers.
Bachelor of Science in Physical Science
Saint Marys College, Santa Monica, CA