11/06-Present Booker T. Washington Insurance Birmingham, AL
Vice President – Human Resources (Interim)
– Chief human resources executive retained as an independent contractor to lead and direct the company’s Human Resource function through a period of state receivership.
– Provide strategic leadership in the development of the company’s rehabilitation plan and go-forward personnel modeling.
– Develop and implement HR “best practices”, specifically in the areas of employee benefit plans, compensation & payroll, and policy development.
– Consult and advise business unit leaders on management practices, leadership development, and performance management.
4/05-9/06 Vesta Insurance Companies Birmingham, AL
Vice President – Human Resources
– Chief human resources executive for a 350 employee, 6 state property/casualty insurance company.
– Lead the planning, development, and execution of strategic initiatives encompassing all functional areas of Human Resources. Partner with business units on administration of policies and procedures, talent management, employee development, legal compliance, employee relations, benefit programs, and services. Serve as internal consultant to management team and employees on issues that affect performance and business relationships.
– Accomplishments include:
– Successfully turned around an ineffective HR department into a high performing business partner that achieves results and delivers service never seen before in the organization.
– Established a Human Resources business plan. Our plan outlined long range goals as well as intermediate metrics so as to ensure progress and ultimate success.
– Established a centralized recruiting environment designed to assure a continual flow of qualified candidates in line with company culture and initiatives throughout the country. Reduced cost per hire by 50%.
– Successfully led the organization’s cultural effort in the establishment of “Shared Values”. It was through this effort where we were recognized as a strategic business partner who is committed to leadership, operational excellence, and enhancing corporate culture through alignment of business strategy.
– Created and implemented enterprise wide performance management system which incorporates job-related metrics, behavioral components, and values to ensure a comprehensive and effective review.
– Successfully redesigned the employee benefits programs to align with the organization’s business strategies.
– Integral member of cross functional operations team charged with the redesign and modeling of the organization to proper scale. Delivered dynamic organizational designs that could rapidly contract/expand according to scale.
– Redesigned Human Resources Work Processes to eliminate aspects that did not add value or that unnecessarily increase cost for the organization. Drove the redesigning aspects that inhibit the delivery of what the customer desires in the way of speed, creativity, quality, service levels to foster an environment of continuous improvement.
3/02-4/05 Momentum Telecom, Inc. Birmingham, AL
Director of Human Resources
– Senior human resources executive for a 200-employee startup telecommunications company. Grew organizational headcount from approximately 50 to 200 within two years.
– Created human resources department and infrastructure including design and implementation of payroll system, design and implementation of employee handbook and human resources policy manual, benefits negotiation and administration, and design and implementation of all Human Resources systems.
– Designed and implemented Human Resources “Best Practices” such as company recruitment policy, which includes behavioral based interviewing, that cut the average cost per hire by 80%, behavioral/metrics based performance management system, retention program which reduced an already low turnover rate even lower, company payroll/HRIS system, including time & attendance system, and EEO/harassment complaint reporting and resolution program.
– Developed and instructed training programs including supervisor training and harassment training; formalized company wide training program including curriculum documentation and record-keeping.
– Administers company health and welfare benefits program as well as its 401k plan.
– Other miscellaneous HR duties that include but are not limited to employee relations, EEO and harassment investigations, counsel company leaders in regards to employee management and discipline, and counsel senior management in regards to strategic analysis and planning.
– Completed all responsibilities above while also effectively managing day-to-day requests from the Human Resources Department as sole HR contributor. Grew department from one to four that include myself, a Manager of Workforce Planning and Development, a HR Generalist, and administrative assistant.
10/99-3/02 Vulcan Performance Chemicals Columbus, GA
Human Resources Coordinator
– Human Resources generalist for a 9 facility, 450 employee chemical manufacturing company.
– Conducted the hiring process for all hourly and salaried employees.
– Salary administration for hourly and salaried employees.
– Assisted employees with issues regarding health insurance and other benefit related items.
– Provided training on company EEO and harassment policies and conducted EEO and harassment investigations.
– Company contact for unemployment insurance inquiries and represented company in unemployment insurance appeal hearings.
– Compile data for and write company Affirmative Action Plan.
– Provide day-to-day assistance in responding to questions and requests for HR services from the organization.
2/99-10/99 Special Counsel Birmingham, AL
8/98-2/99 Vulcan Chemicals Birmingham, AL
Human Resources Administrator
9/92-12/97 Burr & Forman, LLP Birmingham, AL
Auburn University Auburn, AL
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, major in Human Resources Management
Certified, Senior Professional in Human Resources, June 2002 (recertified, April 2005)
Certified, Professional in Human Resources, May 2001
Board of Directors, Children’s Aid Society
National member, Society for Human Resources Management
Member, Birmingham Chapter, Society for Human Resources Management