Words mean everything when it comes to making the right impression on employers. Even an impressive track record can sound lackluster with weak phrasing and insufficient detail. Conversely, a candidate new to the workforce, coming from a different field, or having gaps in her or his work history can still create a document that emphasizes key strengths and addresses the employer’s priorities.
Using a quality resume sample can help you get the details right while also conveying the big picture of what you bring to the table. We have collected some of our best sales resume samples to demonstrate some successful approaches for various types of sales positions, along with useful explanations of issues such as industry expectations. Once you understand the principles of effective resume composition, you can put them to work for you as you create your own document.
Sales Resume Samples
When applying for a key account manager position, you need a submission that shows you can carry out the full range of major responsibilities you can expect in this job capacity. In addition to perusing the job description to understand the employer’s priorities, reviewing well-written sales resume samples can give you a better idea of what to include.
- Highly experienced key account managers who know the auto industry and understand how to meet client needs in this area.
- Sales Skills To Include:
- Thorough knowledge of business operations
- Track record of building solid client relationships
- Experience in key account management
- Understanding of product marketing
- Excellent communication skills
- Superlative organizational and leadership skills
More Information: Check out our key account manager resume sample to learn more.
Applicants for retail store manager jobs need to show general sales and leadership skills as well as knowledge of the store’s product and related industries. Our sales resume samples include examples targeted to this position that illustrate some good ways to showcase relevant abilities and experiences. The ability to manage the various facets of running a store, from team scheduling to display set-up, should also take center stage on your document.
- Experienced retail store managers who understand fashionable women’s apparel and how to sell to target demographics.
- Sales Skills To Include:
- Adept at developing and implementing targeted sales strategies
- Effective team leadership
- Knowledge of current trends in women’s apparel
- Experience in budget management
- Proficiency in retail management
More Information: Find more information by taking a look at our retail store manager resume sample.
Shine the spotlight on your B2B sales track record and top interpersonal skills by drafting an effective resume that covers your skills and achievements. To get started, check our sales resume samples for examples that emphasize corporate B2B experience.
- High-achieving B2B corporate sales representatives with proven accomplishments and a consistent drive to perform above and beyond expectations.
- Sales Skills To Include:
- Extensive corporate networking
- Great communication and presentation skills
- Deep understanding of the product and how it meets corporate needs
- Proven record of expanding target markets
- Sales strategy development
More Information: You can get more information from our B2B corporate sales representative resume sample.
An account executive position entails major responsibilities. Businesses rely on account executives to maintain and grow their client base. Your document should let employers know you have what it takes to succeed. Our sales resume samples offer some effective ways to make your accomplishments stand out.
- Account executives with extensive experience and an established ability to increase revenue for businesses in the computer and technology sector.
- Sales Skills To Include:
- Technical sales experience
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills
- Proficiency in effective negotiation
- Knowledge of marketing development
- Track record of contributing to account revenue growth
More Information: Read through our account executive resume sample to obtain further information.
Brand ambassadors expand a product’s market share by actively engaging prospective buyers and conveying their brand’s message. Your professional document should demonstrate a deep understanding of sales strategy, data analysis, and brand creation. Employers want to know that, as a brand ambassador, you understand your mission is not just to sell a product once, but rather to build a relationship between client and brand.
- Brand ambassadors with experience in all aspects of brand outreach and thorough knowledge of strategic marketing.
- Sales Skills To Include:
- Strategic sales development
- Experience leading trade show teams
- Corporate outreach
- Proficiency in buying trend analysis
- Stellar communication abilities
More Information: Take a closer look at our brand ambassador resume sample for additional information.
Popular Sales Resume Questions
While you may think your submission’s substance is its most important part, you should also understand that employers who face an unappealing presentation may never get to the point of analyzing the content. You need busy hiring managers to quickly glean the information you present. Making your resume attractive and easy to read can further this goal.
Our sales resume samples show some ways you can organize and design your document. Use a professional, easily readable font. Bold headers and appropriate use of spacing can separate your sections and let the reader get a maximum of information at a quick glance.
Jobseekers often have trouble deciding which information to include and which to omit. Do employers want to know about your education? Should you include your hobbies?
Generally, your submission should begin with a summary section containing a brief statement of the achievements and skills that make you a good fit for the position. Then, include a bulleted list of core skills. Your next section should include your work history, with the education section coming last.
Most employers prefer receiving your resume in PDF format. Write your resume using your usual word processing program, then save it to PDF. Before sending, be sure to review your document in the new format to make sure it appears the way you want it to.
However, some employers may include other instructions in their job applications. Do read job postings carefully and follow the employer’s directions. Doing otherwise can signal a lack of attention to detail – not a first impression you wish to make.
In most cases, you should not include hobbies on your submission at all. Employers only want to see information relevant to skills and experiences that qualify you for their position.
An exception to this rule may occur when an applicant has little work experience but does have a hobby that teaches some relevant skill. For example, a recent college graduate may have more volunteer or hobby experience than working experience. In such a case, you may want to include a section headed “Relevant Experience” and list your hobbies as you would work experience, emphasizing relevant achievements and skills.
To succeed in virtually any type of sales occupation, you need the skills to convince someone to buy your company’s product. Thus, employers want to see excellent communication abilities, negotiation skills, and the ability to relate to a target demographic. Whether you work as a retail salesperson or manage a major account with an international corporation, you need to understand your client’s needs. Our sales resume samples show several skills lists relevant to various types of sales occupations.
In addition, employers want you to thoroughly understand the product you sell. You need to know how it works, what kind of support your company can provide, and how it meets the buyer’s needs. A salesperson working in retail apparel should list knowledge of fashion, while someone selling software would emphasize technological proficiency.
Your sales resume is likely to be the most important “sales pitch” that you ever make as you will be selling yourself, your skills, your successes and triumphs. To write a first class resume you need to make it predominantly results oriented and focus on your achievements and contributions during your career. The format you use can be adapted to suit your individual circumstances but will generally follow a style similar to the following example:
Keep this straightforward, placed right at the top, clearly set out and easy to read. No tricks here. Simply provide the necessary details for the employer to contact you without having to search through the resume. Have this information “front and center”.
This section is only required if you have not had previous work experience in sales and are a new graduate or have had very little work history. It should be a short, simple statement targeted to suit the position you are applying for. For example: I seek an automotive sales position that will utilize my expertise, initiative and commitment to excellence. I prefer a position with career growth possibility”.
This section is where you have the opportunity to stand out from the crowd. You need to sum up your sales career with three or four powerful sentences. You must show your value to a prospective employer and point out your sales abilities and highlight your special expertise, strengths and knowledge of the industry. Think of this part as an advertisement which says “this is what I Can Offer You”. An example profile statement could be: Skilled sales professional, recognized for consistent delivery of profit growth in competitive markets. Offering 15 years of experience including key account management and territory supervision. Strong team building capacity: acknowledged success with managing and developing new teams.
This next section of your sales resume can introduce some keywords and key phrases that hiring managers are seeking in sales personnel. You can select some from the suggested ones and add your own to suit your skills.
- Sales Expert
- Online Sales Strategies
- Sales Forecasting
- Sales Reporting
- Sales Team Management
- Sales Force Systems
Your education is always of interest to employers. List your qualifications in reverse chronological order. State the name of the institution, the year completed and subjects studied or professional qualifications obtained.
Sales Work Experience
In the responsibilities or duties section it is best to emphasize your record of sales accomplishments rather than to simply make a list of duties. Make sure to emphasize your particular responsibilities in such things as budgets and any supervisory roles and highlight your best successes. Use action verbs and bullet points such as “initiated”, “launched”, “developed”. Of course a number one priority is to show how much you can benefit the company by using your sales proficiency. It is certainly advisable to include as many of the following examples of information as possible.
- Your sales figures or a percentage increase in sales
- Quotas met or exceeded
- Any dwindling accounts that you have “rescued”
- Awards or merits gained
- Playing a role in developing a new product
- Taking part in the launch of a new product
- Negotiating with suppliers to achieve extra profit
- Acting on any boards or committees
- Taking part in sales training programs to increase performance
- Handling client objections or dissatisfaction successfully
Keep in mind that the employer is especially interested to know how much you will improve the bottom line for the company. sales resumes that focus on this type of information will give a clear picture of your abilities and showcase your worth to a prospective employer and ultimately this is what your new boss is seeking to discover.
For this section a recent graduate with little or no work history could include relevant voluntary activities and clubs which will show leadership qualities and communication skills. More experienced sales people could add any memberships of professional associations.
Remember to include the keywords and phrases that were used in the job advertisement numerous times throughout your resume as these are what the employers will use when searching to hire sales people. Be careful not to overdo using them as this will spoil your resume and it may be rejected.
Sales Resume Samples
- Account Executive Resume Sample
- Account Executive Resume Template
- Account Manager Resume Sample
- Account Representative Resume Sample
- Advertising Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Advertising Sales Representative Resume Template
- Area Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Area Sales Manager Resume Template
- Automotive Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Automotive Sales Representative Resume Template
- B2B Corporate Sales Representative Resume Sample
- B2B Corporate Sales Representative Resume Template
- Brand Ambassador Resume Sample
- Brand Ambassador Resume Template
- Business Development Manager Resume Sample
- Business Development Manager Resume Template
- Business Development Representative Resume Sample
- Business Development Representative Resume Template
- Callback Representative Resume Sample
- Channel Partner Sales Executive Resume Sample
- Channel Partner Sales Executive Resume Template
- Community Marketing Manager Resume Sample
- Community Marketing Manager Resume Template
- Corporate Sales Account Executive Resume Sample
- Corporate Sales Account Executive Resume Template
- Customer Care Representative Resume Sample
- Direct Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Direct Sales Manager Resume Template
- Direct Salesperson Resume Sample
- Direct Salesperson Resume Template
- Director Of Inside Sales Resume Sample
- Director Of Inside Sales Resume Template
- Director Of National Sales Resume Sample
- Director Of National Sales Resume Template
- Director Of Sales Resume Sample
- Director Of Subsidiary Rights Resume Sample
- Distribution Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Distribution Sales Representative Resume Template
- District Sales Manager Resume Sample
- District Sales Manager Resume Template
- Engineering Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Enterprise Resources Planning Representative Resume Sample
- Enterprise Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Equipment Sales Specialist Resume Sample
- Equipment Sales Specialist Resume Template
- Equity Sales Assistant Resume Sample
- Executive Vice President Of Sales Resume Sample
- Executive Vice President Of Sales Resume Template
- Financial Advisor Resume Sample
- Financial Advisor Resume Template
- Financial Planner Resume Sample
- Financial Planner Resume Template
- Financial Sales Assistant Resume Sample
- Financial Sales Assistant Resume Template
- Fixed Income Specialist Resume Sample
- Franchise Development Manager Resume Sample
- Franchise Development Manager Resume Template
- Group And Events Sales Coordinator Resume Sample
- Group And Events Sales Coordinator Resume Template
- Group Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Healthcare Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Healthcare Sales Representative Resume Template
- Industrial Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Industrial Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Industrial Sales Representative Resume Template
- Industry Representative Resume Sample
- Industry Representative Resume Template
- Inside Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Inside Salesperson Resume Sample
- Inside Salesperson Resume Template
- Insurance Agent Resume Sample
- Insurance Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Insurance Sales Representative Resume Template
- Investments Representative Resume Sample
- Key Account Manager Resume Sample
- Major Accounts Manager Resume Sample
- Major Accounts Manager Resume Template
- Market Development Manager Resume Sample
- Market Development Manager Resume Template
- Medical Equipment Leasing And Finance Resume Sample
- Medical Equipment Leasing And Finance Resume Template
- Medical Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Merchandising Manager Resume Sample
- National Account Manager Resume Sample
- National Account Manager Resume Template
- National Accounts Sales Analyst Resume Sample
- National Accounts Sales Representative Resume Sample
- National Accounts Sales Representative Resume Template
- National Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Outside Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Product Developer Resume Sample
- Purchasing Agent Resume Sample
- Real Estate Appraiser Resume Sample
- Real Estate Broker Resume Sample
- Real Estate Manager Resume Sample
- Regional Account Manager Resume Sample
- Regional Dealer Recruiter Resume Sample
- Regional Sales Account Manager Resume Sample
- Regional Sales Account Manager Resume Template
- Regional Sales Executive Resume Sample
- Regional Sales Executive Resume Template
- Regional Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Retail Buyer Resume Sample
- Retail Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Retail Sales Representative Resume Template
- Retail Store Manager Resume Sample
- Retail Store Manager Resume Template
- Route Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Sales Account Executive Resume Sample
- Sales Account Executive Resume Template
- Sales Account Manager Resume Template
- Sales Account Representative Resume Template
- Sales Administrator Resume Sample
- Sales Assistant Resume 1 Sample
- Sales Assistant Resume 2 Sample
- Sales Assistant Resume Sample
- Sales Associate Resume Sample
- Sales Coordinator Resume Sample
- Sales Customer Care Representative Resume Template
- Sales Director Resume Sample
- Sales Director Resume Template
- Sales Executive Resume Sample
- Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Sales Manager Resume Template
- Sales Operation Coordinator Resume Sample
- Sales Operation Coordinator Resume Template
- Sales Outside Sales Representative Resume Template
- Sales Representative Resume 1 Sample
- Sales Representative Resume 2 Sample
- Sales Representative Resume 3 Sample
- Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Sales Sales Assistant Resume Template
- Sales Sales Associate Resume Template
- Sales Sales Coordinator Resume Template
- Sales Sales Representative Resume Template
- Sales Trainee Resume Sample
- Salesperson Resume Sample
- Salesperson Resume Template
- Sample Sales Resume 1 Sample
- Sample Sales Resume 2 Sample
- Specialty Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Specialty Sales Representative Resume Template
- Strategic Account Manager Resume Sample
- Strategic Account Manager Resume Template
- Tele Interviewer Resume Sample
- Territory Business Manager Resume Sample
- Territory Business Manager Resume Template
- Territory Manager Resume Sample
- Territory Manager Resume Template
- Territory Sales Manager Resume Sample
- Territory Sales Manager Resume Template
- Territory Sales Representative Resume Sample
- Territory Sales Representative Resume Template