Have you decided for applying to graduate school? If so, it is recommendable, you know about the graduate school preparation process in order you apply early. Here, we want to provide you with guidelines about the things you can take into account to enroll in a graduate school.
After you decide for the career to pursue, the next step is applying to a professional school (in case you have decided to attend university or institute). Also, if you are thinking in applying postgraduate studies, in order to do it easily, you have to bear in mind the following things:
- It would be good, if you apply graduate school directly after undergraduate.
- A point in your favor will be having practical experience before graduate school.
- Browse through universitie’ websites, guides to graduate programs, college catalogs, etc. This way you will get accurate information about what universities offer students.
- Assist seminars, workshops and class presentation that universities organize.
- Research the specialization areas of faculty. In order to be well informed before starting with your studies, you must know about this.
- Ask for the degrees offered. For instance, does the school offer an MBA?
- Research for financial support available. Some schools offer financial aid, such as scholarships, so ask the graduate school you want to apply for this.
- Ask if the school offers internships programs. They will be helpful in order you get experience in the field you choose.
- Most of the graduate schools require standardized test scores. Those tests can be LSAT, GRE, MCAT, GMAT, etc. So ask the graduate school you want to enroll in, about these requirements.
- Have ready letter of recommendations. Graduate schools require also these letters along with personal essays and an interview. In order to be well prepared, ask for the admissions requirements.
It is essential to start the graduate school preparation early to avoid missing some requirements.
Furthermore, if you want to take the most advantage of graduate schools, have a career plan. Having a goal in mind will help you to do things easily.
Short details about required tests
LSAT (Law School Admission Test): It is administered four times in a year. Some schools (USA, Canada, and others) include this test in their admission process. This half-day test measures the acquired reading and verbal reasoning skills.
GRE (Graduate Record Examination): It is an admission requirement for graduate schools in some countries (USA, Canada, UK, and others). The test measures quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning, critical thinking skills and analytical writing. This consists of the General Test and the Subject Test in psychology.
MCAT (Medical College Admission Test): It is required for most medical schools. It measures verbal reasoning, writing skills and tests physical and biological sciences. This five-and-a-half hour test can predict your success in medical school.
GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test): It is required for most business school MBA programs in countries such as USA, Canada, and others. Also it can be considered for admission to business PhD programs.