Would you like to be a telecommuter and work outside of office more of your time? If the idea catches your attention, then we invite you to read more about what telecommuting implies such as the basic concepts related to it, the benefits that brings it to you, and the technologies that make of it, a program easy to take. Definitely, this is a real good way to work, that companies can adopt according to the type of work.
Telecommuting: It refers to the work outside of the office, or at an alternative work-site. So in this context, we can say that it is related to moving work to people, and not people to work.
Telecommuters: They are the workers that work in this kind of programs, so they can work part-time in office, and part time in other place such as at their home. Their schedule can also vary.
Teleworking and telecommuting: Many people try to figure out what the difference between those terms is. Sometimes the words “telework” and “telecommute” are used interchangeably, but you have to know that teleworking is a broader term than telecommuting. In order to clarify this idea, let’s see the following examples:
You are a teleworker, if you have to travel to work to other location regularly. Although, you don’t have to commute to an office, you are a commuter. In this case, you are also working in a location that is a distance from your office. If you work everywhere such as in airports, restaurants, hotel lobbies, etc, then, you are a teleworker.
You are a telecommuter, if you work from your home, and you don’t need to change of place, so working at home will be an indicative that you are a telecommuter.
Then, how you can see these terms are really closely related. Although Teleworking is more used because it includes the word “work” and it is more focused on it, you will find many information that use the work telecommuting (focused in go from here to there) to refer teleworking.
- Companies can count with more staff without the need to increase the space of their office.
- Companies have the opportunity to hire employees from everywhere in the country.
- It will avoid tardiness and absenteeism.
- Due to workers don’t need to go the company’s office, the traffic will reduce and there will be less congestion in parking areas. Consequently the pollution that vehicles produce will be reduced.
- Workers won’t have job-related costs such as meal and clothing
- It can reduce the stress of the worker
- It allows workers to spend more time with their families.
Telework is facilitated for some technologies such as:
- Internet connections
- Voice over IP (VOIP)
- PDA. Personal Data Assistant, etc.
Companies are taking more seriously to offer teleworking job offers, but it is important to know that it will depend of the kind of job to be performed.