The main role of an automotive technician is to swiftly and accurately identify the source of automotive problems and propose plans to repair the same.
Automotive Technician Job Duties:
If you enjoy working with motor vehicles and ensuring their overall safe running, possess good technical and diagnostic skills, you may be well suited in the role of an automotive technician.
Popular employers include auto and car manufacturers and dealerships, tyre retailers and electrical and mechanical repair organisations. Many in this position move on to become automotive service managers and automobile service advisors.
An automotive technician would normally be required to:
1) Diagnose the causes of vehicles problems and repair the same.
2) Draw up repair estimates.
3) Perform maintenance services.
4) Liaise with the parts department to obtain required components.
5) Carry out vehicle inspections, testing and safety checks.
6) Document and maintain records of service work carried out on vehicles.
7) Keep shop floor area clean and neat.
8) Maintain and organise tools, equipment and manuals.
9) Research technical manuals of particular vehicles in order to increase efficiency.
10) Keep abreast of technical updates and improvements relevant to the job.Create this Resume
Automotive Technician Knowledge and Skills:
1) A complete understanding of the operation of motor vehicles and their individual systems and components.
2) Ability to work with standard service tools such as pliers, spanners and to operate equipment such as, but not limited to, hydraulic lifts, alignment machines, brake lathes and air tools in a safe manner.
3) Ability to operate electronic testing equipment.
Automotive Technician Educational Qualifications and Experience:
1) The educational requirements vary, depending on the level of the job and candidate’s experience and can range from high school diplomas with vocational training to college and associate degrees in automotive technology.
2) At least 2 years experience is preferred, though more, even up to 20 years, is always favoured.
3) For specialised jobs, appropriate certification is required, for example Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification in Auto and Manual Transmission or in Brakes, Steering and Suspension.
4) Ability to work with software such as AllData and Identifix is beneficial.
Automotive Technician Salary and Benefits:
1) The industry average is considered to be $12 to $21, while overtime rates range from $15 to $26 per hour. Annual salaries are usually between $30,000 and $ 50,000, depending on experience and specialisation.
2) Most large companies offer paid vacation, medical, dental and 401(k) benefits.
3) Many companies sponsor associate degree programs, specialised training and ASE certification courses.