A design engineer is the person who creates the initial drawings for various projects, including creation of or modification to equipment, structures, components, machinery and systems. This position is found in various engineering fields, including mechanical, computer, civil, architectural and electrical engineering.
Design Engineer Job Duties
If you enjoy designing structures and systems and have a solid engineering background to ensure that these designs are feasible, you might enjoy the role of a design engineer. Popular industries which use the expertise of design engineers include manufacturers of equipment in the aircraft, agricultural, medical, construction and automobile industries, telecommunications and computer systems.
Responsibilities usually include:
1) Creating designs and blueprints along with a team of other engineers and drafters, usually with the assistance of computer software.
2) Coordinating efforts with a planning committee to ensure that the design is created in accordance with what is required.
3) Sometimes building a prototype of the intended creation, for testing and approval.
4) Making modifications to existing designs or products, to improve their performance or to integrate new technology.
5) Calculating various factors to ensure that the design will realistically be possible.
6) Ensuring that the intended product or structure will be safe, dependable and economically viable. .
7) Often working closely with the research and development department to integrate new improvements into designs and with the quality assurance team to ensure that required quality standards are adhered to.Create this Resume
Design Engineer Knowledge and Skills
1) In depth knowledge of physics, engineering and mathematics to ensure that designs are feasible.
2) Thorough understanding of the products or field for which designs are being created and the requirements of their intended users.
3) Advanced computer skills to work with designing software.
4) Team work skills are essential in order to coordinate efforts with various people, usually within a given deadline.
Design Engineer Educational Qualifications and Experience
1) A degree in mechanical, civil or electrical engineering.
2) Working knowledge of computer aided designing and engineering software such as SolidWorks, SolidEdge, NX, Autodesk Inventor, Catia and Pro/Engineer.
3) Entry level jobs are available, but many advanced positions require in excess of 5 years’ experience.
Design Engineer Salary and Benefits
1) Average design engineer annual salaries are between $45,000 and $70,000, but can vary depending on experience, qualification and complexity of work.
2) Benefits usually include 401(k), paid sick leave and vacation, life or disability insurance, but will vary, depending on individual company policy.