Plumbers work in a very lucrative field, and getting hired by the right company can provide an excellent career path. To land that job, you need a CV that illustrates your qualifications and proves you have the experience needed to do the job right. The below plumber cv template shows how the different sections of a curriculum vitae should be structured, and the included writing tips can help you make the most of the information you’re passing along to hiring managers.
Plumber CV Template
Portland, ME 00000
E: henryjohnson1@anymail T:555-555-5050
Skilled and experienced professional plumber seeking full-time position. Extremely knowledgeable about piping, water heaters, sprinkler systems, and HVAC units. Over 12 years’ experience working in commercial and residential plumbing. Meticulous and thorough with installation and notation, and trained on various types of industry-specific software.
2011 – Present
• Assess customer problems and carry out proper repairs and installations of everything from faulty pipes to water heaters, supply lines, garbage disposals, and septic systems.
• Coordinate with workers to ensure the right technician is able to reach a job site within the allotted window.
• Keep company stocked with high-quality, energy-efficient materials that allow workers to finish jobs more quickly and improve issues for customers.
• Give accurate job estimates, for both time and money spent, using knowledge of materials, structural integrity, and seasonal issues to develop a proper assessment.
• Train all employees on the use of HouseCall Pro, the company’s field service software.
January 2006 – December 2010
• Specialized in the removal and repair of water heaters, both standard issue and tankless, and salvaged many systems that were speculated to be beyond repair.
• Cut piping to match customized dimensions, helping the company cut back on unnecessary spending and excessive disposal fees.
• Maintained the company’s lowest callback percentage, returning for extra repairs or to redo an aspect of a job on less than five percent of all calls.
• Prepared and delivered contracts and bids to clients, often negotiating to add on services and increase company workload.
Professional Plumbing Co.
November 2004 – December 2005
• Installed sprinkler systems in dozens of high-rise commercial buildings, making sure all units were fire tested and met all necessary standards and codes.
• Handled a variety of office duties, including answering phones, scheduling appointments, restocking plumbing and office supplies, and organizing paperwork.
• Took care of standard house calls, including drain clearing, shower repair, cellar leaks, and other general plumbing issues.
• Helped install updated computer software that streamlined many business matters, such as dispatch, billing, and employee scheduling.
Education and Training
High School Diploma – 2003
South Portland High School
• Certified Master Plumber in the state of Maine
• Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Knowledgeable about the different uses and applications of field service software for plumbers
• Fit and able to handle physically demanding tasks
• Trained on HVAC repair and replacement
Hobbies and Interests
Sportsman who loves spending time in the outdoors, whether it’s fishing on the ocean or being out in the woods. Youth football coach during the fall. Love my wife, kids, and three dogs.
Plumber CV Questions
What’s an example of a great plumber CV?
You can see a stellar curriculum vitae with our plumber CV sample. Every successful CV will be no more than two pages in length and include all pertinent information, such as personal details, work experience, skill set, education, and hobbies. You can make your CV great by tailoring it to the exact job you want. Jobseekers applying to multiple jobs simultaneously should not send the exact same document to every hiring manager.
What’s the best format for a CV: PDF, MS Word, or txt?
As a general rule, you want to send your curriculum vitae as a PDF file. Most people’s computers can read a PDF, and you do not have to worry about the formatting changing if the employer is on a different operating system. However, MS Word is good if you suspect the hiring manager will use an Applicant Tracking System to scan documents for keywords to decide which applicants to contact for interviews. Most of the time, only larger organizations use an ATS. Ultimately, a PDF would make our plumber CV sample easiest to read.
What’s the best way to list certifications on your plumber CV?
As you can see on our plumber CV sample, certifications belong in the skills section of the CV. For most plumbing positions, applicants need to already possess certification, so a hiring manager may not even consider you if you do not list it. Certification should not take the place of education, and you should list the highest degree earned.
What goes in the header of a plumber CV?
The header should contain all your personal details. This includes your name, email address, and phone number. You may notice on our plumber CV sample that only a city, state, and zip code are present for the physical address. In recent years, giving your full address has fallen out of favor because many employers view it as a security risk. Providing your city and zip code instead of your physical address gives the hiring manager an idea of how far away from the job site you live.
What skills are the best to list on a plumber CV?
The skills section should include specific talents that will help with the exact job you want. Plumbers should already have a basic knowledge of key tools, such as calipers, bolt cutters, adjustable wrenches, augers, drain cleaning equipment, and much more. Technology skills, including familiarities with computer-aided design and accounting software, are sure to also come in handy and can help distinguish you from other candidates.
Applicants can also list soft skills relevant to the industry. For plumbers, good soft skills to mention include critical-thinking, complex problem-solving, and fast decision-making. Plumbers also need to maintain a certain level of physical fitness, so you may want to consider listing how much you can lift. You can put together a skills section similar to the one in our plumber CV sample with the aid of our resume builder to create an application in minutes.
Using a Job Description To Create a Standout Plumber CV
A Sample Plumber Description
Do you love identifying problems and then finding the best solution? Ross Brothers Plumbing needs a new, experienced plumber to join our team and provide the type of exceptional service that people have come to expect from our company. You’ll be able to work on both commercial and residential plumbing projects, handling everything from drain cleaning to HVAC replacement. Plumbing tools and a company van are provided, and a monthly tool allowance is available for Journeyman and Master Plumbers. Our business is growing and we have plenty of ongoing projects, so we’d love your help in achieving our goals. All employees receive benefits and sick time, and pay is based on experience.
• Handle a high volume of house calls to fix sinks, repair bathroom plumbing, replace and repair water heaters, and assess weather-related plumbing damage.
• Work quickly and efficiently to maintain a busy schedule and arrive at job sites within the given time frame.
• Keep detailed records and fill out necessary paperwork so that billing is handled properly and office staff is kept updated on changes in inventory.
• Provide estimates over the phone and in person, making sure to notify both managers and customers when there is any change in service fees.
• Install electric and gas fixtures, meeting the needs of clients while upholding building codes and being cost effective.
• Repair commercial sprinkler systems and HVAC units.
• Journeyman or Master Plumber
• Minimum five years’ plumbing experience
• Able to lift and haul upwards of 50 pounds
• Knowledgeable about costs and giving estimates
• Proficient with computers and field service software
How To Employ the Job Description in Your Plumber CV
Your CV should directly address the job posting to which you’re responding, so you don’t want to have a document that seems generic. By using keywords and phrases from the job description, you can show that you understand the position and recognize the most important requirements. The plumber cv template above repeats a few keywords and phrases, such as “commercial and residential plumbing” and “field service software.” Directly quoting the job description is a quick and easy way to show you have the right qualifications.
The plumber cv template also makes good use of the Skills section, addressing points from the job description about physical strength and the applicant’s level of certification. You’ll notice this particular plumber cv template also has important accomplishments listed in the Work Experience section, such as getting his previous coworkers trained on new software and maintaining a low callback percentage. Those are practical achievements that will translate directly as necessary skills for this new position.