A data analyst uses statistical analysis and logical reasoning to convert raw data into functional information that can be used by a variety of individuals or companies to further their business objectives.
Data Analyst Job Duties:
If you enjoy mathematics – particularly statistics – and derive satisfaction from extracting useful information from data figures, you might be suitable in the position of a data analyst. Usually analysts specialise in one area which could be anything ranging from information technology, consumer goods markets, healthcare, customer service etc. The position also exists in several scientific industries, especially in research. Many database analysts move on to become database administrators.
The routine tasks usually are:
1) Conducting research or data gathering.
2) Analysing which data is important to the task at hand and which is irrelevant.
3) Segregation, classification and analysis of data.
4) Identifying major trends.
5) Compilation of reports based on analysis, keeping in mind the end user’s requirements.
6) Presentation of findings in the form of graphs, tables, charts and multimedia presentations.
7) In some cases performing data mining tasks, for predictive or forecasting purposes.
8) Design and maintenance of databases, including security issues.Create this Resume
Data Analyst Knowledge and Skills:
1) Analytical and logical thinking skills.
2) A strong mathematical and statistical background.
3) The ability to quickly separate relevant from irrelevant information.
4) Superior problem solving skills.
5) Ability to work with spreadsheets and database software such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.
6) Good communication skills to properly understand the objective of the task and to be able to compile clear reports.
Data Analyst Educational Qualifications and Experience:
1) A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in statistics, computer science, mathematics, business administration or economics, while financial data analysts would require a degree in finance or accounting.
2) 2 – 5 years experience in a related field is generally required.
3) Certifications such as Project Management Professional (PMP), SAS certified programmer, Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) or Six Sigma may be required for some positions.
4) Working knowledge of reporting software, such as Crystal Reports, Microsoft Access Reports, Teradata or SQL Server Reporting Services.
Data Analyst Salary and Benefits:
1) Average hourly rates are between $15 and $30. Depending on experience and expertise, data analyst salaries range between $40,000 and $60,000 per annum and may be higher for individuals with advanced experience.
2) Common benefits offered by companies include medical, dental, paid leave and vacation time, a flexible work schedule, life and disability insurance and 401(k).