A computer technician is the first point of reference in an organization, when users are faced with problems with their computers. A technician will be able to handle most hardware and software hitches, unless they are of a magnitude that requires sending the product back to the manufacturer.
Computer Technician Job Duties:
If you enjoy working with computers, are good at trouble shooting and derive a sense of satisfaction from assisting others to complete their tasks, you might enjoy the position of a computer technician. Many in this position move on to become system administrators or computer technical support specialists. Computer technicians can find work at companies, service centres of electronic goods or can be self employed.
Main responsibilities include:
1) Analysing computer hardware problems, rectifying them, servicing and replacing parts when necessary.
2) Acting as the middle man between user and manufacturer when equipment has to be sent to the latter for repair.
3) Installing software, demonstrating its usage and troubleshooting when users are faced with problems.
4) Updating system software when required.
5) Setting up and solving problems with computer network systems, cabling and wireless networks.
6) Configuring email accounts through POP3, Outlook and IMAP.
7) Anti virus software installation, reporting new virus files and malware removal.
8) Maintaining back up files.
9) Setting up equipment for web conferences and other events that use computers and their peripherals.
10) Servicing and maintaining computer related equipment such as printers, projectors, web cameras and scanners.Create this Resume
Computer Technician Knowledge and Skills:
1) Good analytical and problem solving skills.
2) Knowledge of various operating systems such as Windows, Linux and UNIX.
3) Ability to quickly adapt to change and be up to date with new developments in the industry.
4) Good communication skills are essential to be able to teach users about equipment or new software.
Computer Technician Educational Qualifications and Experience:
1) A Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree is required, though sometimes a high school diploma will suffice if the candidate has experience and a proven track record.
2) 2 – 5 years experience is usually required.
3) Certifications such as CompTIA A+ and Microsoft Certified Professional are often desired and sometimes required.
Computer Technician Salary and Benefits:
1) Computer technician salaries vary by type of employer (information technology, healthcare, government etc), but generally range between $30,000 and $55,000 per year.
2) Benefits vary depending on individual company policy but may include 401(k), medical, dental, tuition reimbursement and paid vacation.