One of the most important tools in your job search is a dynamite curriculum vitae that imparts to hiring managers your qualifications for the job. By looking at a CPA accountant cv template like the one included in this writing guide, you have the opportunity to learn more about what to include and how to format your own document. The associated tips provide you with ways to craft a standout document that increases your chances of advancing to the interview stage of the hiring process.
CPA Accountant CV Template
123 Fake Street | City, State, Zip Code
E: email@example.com T: 000-000-0000
Licensed CPA accountant with five years of experience working as a dedicated accountant for companies. Well-versed in the tax code with the ability to minimize companies’ tax liability with legal credits and deductions. Proficient in accurately maintaining records and catching even the smallest mistakes thanks to a keen attention to detail. Adept at working independently or as part of a team. Dedicated to ensuring companies remain in compliance and continually pass annual audits with the highest ratings.
February 2015 – Present
- Collaborate with team members to maintain accurate financial records, including income and expenditure receipts.
- Developed a financial management system using QuickBooks for individual departments to use for daily accounting tasks that led to a 20 percent reduction in waste.
- Manage financial department that consists of a payroll administrator, accounts receivable and payable administrator, and financial analyst.
- Review tax returns prepared by staff members to ensure accuracy and determine if all applicable deductions and credits are applied.
December 2013 – February 2015
- Maintained detailed financial records across all accounts and found ways to cut costs that increased profits by 10 percent.
- Resolved inconsistencies in accounts by running internal audits as needed that led to passing annual audits with the highest ratings.
- Attended monthly management meetings to discuss budgetary concerns, present financial reports, and answer questions from executive staff members.
- Assisted auditors during annual reviews, providing all financial documents requested in a timely and efficient manner.
January 2012 – December 2013
- Prepared quarterly and annual state and federal tax returns according to the latest tax code, applying all applicable deductions and credits to minimize tax liability.
- Solved accounting inconsistencies to ensure the company remained compliant and that financial documents were accurate.
- Ensured that all taxes were paid on time to minimize the risk of paying penalty fees and interest.
- Reviewed tax returns prepared by team members to cross-check calculations and reduce the chance of any issues in the returns.
Enrolled Agent — 2013
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Certified Public Accountant — 2012
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Master of Science in Accounting — 2011
University of Southern California, City, State
Bachelor of Science in Accounting — 2009
University of Southern California, City, State
- Valid CPA license and Enrolled Agent certification
- Proficient in QuickBooks, FreshBooks, and other accounting management software programs
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Well-versed in the state and federal tax code
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
I am an amateur musician, and my band performs at local events throughout the year. I also enjoy swimming and biking, and I have competed in several triathlons. In my spare time, I volunteer at the local food bank as a food server and offer them complementary tax preparation services.
CPA Accountant CV Questions
Which skills are best to list on a CPA accountant CV?
A CPA accountant’s skills are always in demand, but employers won’t know you have those skills unless you flaunt them in your CV. Keep your CV up to date with the skills employers want by reviewing recent job advertisements to get a solid grasp on what’s hot in the market right now.
Evergreen skills include things such as tax accounting, reporting, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. Focus on your areas of strength and try to use these skills organically as we have in our CPA accountant CV sample.
What’s the best way to show you work well in a team on a CPA accountant CV?
In your role you often work across departments and with the senior management team to gather and present information necessary to accounting and finance management. Demonstrate your skills in communication and relationship building by discussing instances where you worked with cross-functional teams to solve problems.
You can also discuss how the information quantified by your accounting skills facilitated business decisions for senior management. For other examples of team collaboration, review our CPA accountant CV sample.
What’s the best way to list certifications on your CPA accountant CV?
Many jobs won’t hire you without a proper accounting certification. Luckily, you’ve got your CPA certification, among other stellar qualifications. You can list your CPA certification after your name in the header of your CV, as well as spelling it out in the education section of your CV.
All other certifications belong in the education section, as in our CPA accountant CV sample. Try to keep your education and certifications in reverse chronological order, listed by date and with the awarding institution after the name of the certification.
What should go in the experience section of your CPA accountant CV?
The experience section of your CV is where you really shine. Write out each of your periods of employment as a separate listing consisting of six to eight bullet points. Give these bullet points power by using the kind of action-driven language demonstrated in our CPA accountant CV sample. If you need additional help, create a quick and effortless CV with our resume builder.
A word of caution, however. Limit your experience to only the most recent 10-15 years. Otherwise you run the risk of looking obsolete in a fast-changing job market.
What should you do to make sure your CPA accountant CV makes it past an ATS?
Keywords are absolutely your best chance to pass applicant tracking systems. An applicant tracking system, more commonly referred to as an ATS, determines jobseeker suitability based on keyword density. The algorithms in the system scan your resume and determine if you have the skills needed for the job.
To make sure you pass that screening, select keywords from your target jobs to create a list of skills like the one in our CPA accountant CV sample. This list will boost your match percentage and increase your chances of passing the ATS.
Using a Job Description to Create a Standout CPA Accountant CV
A Sample CPA Accountant Description
Bridgeport Refinery Services is looking to hire a staff CPA accountant for our thriving and growing business. You will monitor our finances in collaboration with several key team members, including department heads, accounts receivable and payable staff, and payroll administrators. The position is also in charge of preparing quarterly and annual state and federal taxes for the company and ensuring that we remain in compliance. We pride ourselves in creating a supportive work environment with plenty of opportunities for growth. We provide competitive compensation with a full benefits package and 401K.
As a CPA accountant on our team, your daily tasks will include the following:
- Collaborate with team members to guarantee that all income and expenditure receipts are accounted for and accurate.
- Maintain daily and monthly financial records, running reports as needed, and reconcile accounts on a weekly basis.
- Meet with management and executive level staff at monthly meetings to discuss their expenditures and see if they remain within budget.
- Prepare tax returns and make sure all quarterly and annual taxes are paid on time.
- Assist auditors during annual audits so they have all the necessary documentation to conduct their review.
- Resolve any accounting issues that arise in a swift and prompt manner while retaining compliance and accuracy.
To be considered for this job position, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Current CPA license
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field, master’s preferred
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and other accounting software
- Exceptional attention to detail
- At least five years of experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
How to Employ the Job Description in Your CPA Accountant CV
If you look closely at the CPA accountant cv template, you will notice that it has incorporated key terms and phrases from the job description. This is an easy way to tailor your curriculum vitae to each job for which you apply and demonstrate your match for the position. As an added bonus, it makes it easier for your document to pass through automated computer programs set up to search CVs for certain criteria. If you never make it past the initial scan through applicant tracking software, you will not be called in for an interview.
In the CPA accountant cv template, the applicant made sure to emphasize proficiency in QuickBooks, which was part of the job criteria in the posting, by including it in the skills section. The applicant also included it as part of the work experience section to show that she is not just proficient in it, but she also used it on a daily basis. The CPA accountant cv template also details several ways the applicant collaborated with the team, something that was also mentioned as an important part of the position in the job description.