Health Unit Coordinators are those who seek to work in hospitals, nursing homes or other related medical fields. They serve as a link between patients and the main as well as supporting medical staff.
Health Unit Coordinator Job Duties
If you enjoy working in the medical field, have a caring attitude; enjoy looking after patients and caring for them, then working as health unit coordinator will bring you closer to your desires. The following are the duties of a Health Unit Coordinator.
1) Liaison between patients and medical staff.
2) Works directly under the Nursing Manager
3) Compiles patients’ medical charts and graphs patients’ progress.
4) Schedules diagnostic tests.
5) Transcribe physicians’ reports and prescription.
6) Receives new patients and collects their records.
7) Orients and mentors staff members.
8) Places orders for supplies and assists in storage.
9) Prepares certificates of birth or death.
10) Completes admission and discharge forms.
11) Attends to telephones, forwards pager messages and transfers calls.
12) Supervises maintenance of reception area.
13) Greets new patients and directs them to appropriate consultation.
14) Supervises housekeeping.
Health Unit Coordinator Knowledge and Skills
1) Organization and communication skills to liaison between patients and physicians.
2) Knowledge of case management policies and procedures.
3) Knowledge of standard precautions and use of protective instruments.
4) Orientation and mentoring skills.
5) Knowledge of arrival of new health care services, equipment etc in the current market.
6) Knowledge and high level of accuracy of medical terminology.
7) Ability to obtain necessary authorization or approval for outside services when required.
8) Computer skills to maintain patient’s records.
9) Excellent clerical skills.
10) Excellent customer service skills.
11) Knowledge of Staffing and budgeting.
12) Maintenance of health care equipment.Create this Resume
Health Unit Coordinator Educational Qualifications and Experience
1) High school degree or any equivalent certificate
2) Six month or a one year certificate course in nursing or relevant medical field.
3) National certificate course from reputed organization or any approved Health Unit Coordinators course.
4) Bachelor Degree in Nursing.
5) Clerical experience of at least one year.
6) One year experience of working in a hospital as a Unit Secretary.
7) Management experience in any one or two specialized departments in medical health care.
8) Experience of maintaining e-files and print records of patients as well as that of the industry.
Health Unit Coordinator Salary and Benefits
1) The annual remuneration of a Health Care Unit coordinator ranges from $55,000 to $60,000
2) Benefits include medical insurance, dental and vision insurances.