It is often difficult to make a strong first impression when applying for a new job. With so many candidates for employers to choose from, it is vital that you stand out from the crowd. One of the best ways to do so is to focus on creating a strong curriculum vitae. Additionally, one of the best ways to strengthen your CV is to look at an example. The following data scientist cv template demonstrates what should be included and how to make an efficient example of your capabilities. Your CV communicates your skills, education, and working experience.
Data Scientist CV Template
Jackson, Mississippi 11111
E: JMichaels@anymail.com P: 555-842-5693
Highly experienced professional data scientist capable of developing advanced insight into any business aspect. Extensive career working in data science for more than a decade. Prioritizes collaboration with other scientists to create information that is tested and accurate, but also as useful and detailed as possible. Excellent mathematics, statistics, and calculation skills put into practice on a daily basis. Long history providing businesses with extensive market, trends, and marketing research.
2013 to present
- Perform research alongside other scientists to gain insight into market trends, potential new products’ projected success, and impacts on the market.
- Create reports based on findings to be presented to executives at monthly board meeting, making recommendations for improvement in addition to raw information.
- Communicate with other scientists, collaborating effectively to complete research and information.
- Analyze internal operations, evaluating how effective and efficient they are compared to similar other businesses in the same field.
- Take on leadership role for specially assigned projects, managing other data scientists to complete the work.
- Maintained position in top 10 percent of data scientists in terms of research completed and success of recommendations.
2009 to 2013
- Interpreted data from databases and information technology team.
- Made predictions for new product sales.
- Researched new technology for our field, as well as new operational strategies, making recommendations for implementation.
Infinity Data Corp.
2005 to 2009
- Provided assistance with research to the entire data scientist team.
- Fetched documents or other resources quickly and efficiently upon request.
- Performed research requested from data scientist team.
Master of Science in Statistics – 2013
University of Jackson, Mississippi
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics – 2009
University of Jackson, Mississippi
- Analytical minded and extensive evaluation, critical thinking, and calculation skills
- Technological native with excellent computer science abilities and familiar with all standard data science software
- Mathematics, statistics, algorithms, and calculation skills
- Experience in management and leadership, giving instructions and delegating tasks
- Excellent communication skills, both interpersonal and professional, collaborating with others
- Highly organized, talented multitasker, familiar with administrative responsibilities
When I have time, I enjoy traveling and immersing myself in different cultures. To stay active, I run on a daily basis and play on a local basketball team. I also volunteer my time with a local charity organization. I read monthly business and data science magazines to stay up to date.
Data Scientist CV Questions
What’s the best way to include digital skills on a data scientist CV?
As a data scientist, your digital skills play a big role in your marketability. Most employers expect you to be able to use scientific software as well as basic spreadsheet programs. You can include these sought-after skills on your CV in various sections.
In the data scientist CV sample, the applicant shows off his ability to work with computers throughout his experience and skills sections. If you have a lot of digital skills you want to showcase, you may be able to create a special digital skills section.
How can you separate your data scientist CV from other candidates’ CVs?
If you want your document to stand out above the rest, you need to create a CV that looks good and tells the reader about your work history. As the data scientist CV sample shows, consistency plays an important role. If you use the same format for every entry in your experience section, hiring managers better understand how to find information.
To really make your CV stand out, you should also try to use short paragraphs and bulleted lists. Whenever possible, use metrics to explain your accomplishments. Incorporate job-specific keywords to show the recruiter you’re a good fit.
How do you list education on a data scientist CV?
As a data scientist, employers may expect you to have a master’s degree, certifications, or other important education. Because of the role your learning plays on the job, you should make sure to go over this part of your experience carefully. As you look over the data scientist CV sample, you’ll notice that the applicant used a reverse chronological order to focus on his most recent education first. This strategy puts the most important, and often most relevant, education first.
There’s a lot of information you can include. For example, you can list out the degree name, the area you studied, the name of the university, and the location of the university. If you received academic awards, you could also include that information alongside the applicable degree.
What should you do to make sure your data scientist CV makes it past ATS?
Many companies use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) to help sort through the mass of CVs. This system often searches through documents for keywords important to the job. If you want your CV to get reviewed by a real person, you need to make it past ATS.
Try to include key phrases used by the recruiter in the job posting. Avoid spelling errors, as these can hide keywords. As in the data scientist CV sample, keep the layout and formatting of your document simple because borders and crazy fonts can also wreak havoc with the system’s ability to understand a CV.
What sections should you include in your data scientist CV?
Because each document gets tailored to a specific job, each data scientist CV may have slight differences. Typically, you want to include important sections, such as professional summary, skills and qualifications, work experience, and education. Some employers may appreciate seeing certifications, hobbies and interests, or accomplishments sections as well, but that will depend on the job and your experience. You can review the data scientist CV sample or turn to the easy-to-use resume builder to create a CV in minutes.
Using a Job Description to Create a Standout Data Scientist CV
A Sample Data Scientist Description
Job SummaryAre you analytical and mathematically minded? Do you enjoy making calculations and evaluations? As a data scientist, you will be part of a team that is responsible for gathering information and completing research to help our entire business. Put your excellent research and analysis skills to good use and make a real difference. We rely heavily on the information that data scientists like you provide. You will have the opportunity to make recommendations for improvement and be able to shape the way our company is run. Join our dynamic team of data scientists and enter a position where you can flex your analytical muscles.Job ResponsibilitiesIn this position, you will be filling these responsibilities:
- Complete research on the market, new trends, business operations, new products, and many other aspects to improve success.
- Compile your findings into valuable reports that executives will carefully review and use to make decisions.
- Work together with other data scientists, being a part of the team to tackle research jobs as efficiently as possible.
- Analyze all aspects of our business, from our marketing to our operations, to identify areas that need improvement when compared to the competition.
- Analysis, mathematical, and evaluation skills are essential to this position
- Excellent communication between data scientists and with executives to present your work
- Organized and fully capable of completing administrative responsibilities
- It is a plus if you have experience in a management or leadership position
How to Employ the Job Description in Your Data Scientist CV
One of the most important things to keep in mind when writing your CV is to make it as specific as possible. This data scientist cv template demonstrates some of the ways you can use the information found in the job description to alter your CV slightly. This accomplishes multiple things at once. First, it makes you look like the perfect fit for the specific job. Second, it communicates that you read the job description carefully and have considered it closely. Finally, it makes it easier for readers to picture you fulfilling the responsibilities described in the posting.Although it may sound like a lot of extra work to alter your CV for each new job you apply for, it is possible to integrate information seamlessly with very little effort. First, read the job description and identify keywords that seem to be the most important. Once you know what this employer values in a worker, you can place this information throughout your CV. With only a few simple mentions, your CV instantly becomes stronger and specifically tailored to the job you are applying for. Review this data scientist cv template alongside the sample job description to see this in action.