To capture the attention of hiring managers and employers, you need to write a curriculum vitae that stands as a testament to your own worth. This can be confusing, but by looking at the economist cv template below, you can get some idea of what employers are looking for in a well-written CV. Let it serve as a resource when you are writing your own, and take note of important language. Once you read the example, use the accompanying tips to perfect your document and land a job interview.
Economist CV Template
123 Fake Street | City, State, Zip Code
E: email@example.com T: 000-000-0000
Accomplished and intelligent economist with a significant amount of expertise in education and healthcare. Possess in-depth knowledge of complex economic concepts, mathematics, and marketing, and adept at applying theories and ideas in real-world situations. Strong understanding of business finance, economic planning, and data interpretation. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – able to work effectively alone or with others. Capable of using economic principles to predict market and consumer behavior on both a long and short-term basis.
May 2014 – Present
• Help predict future market behavior by collecting vast amounts of client data and using basic economic calculations to better understand consumer habits.
• Provide executive partners with financial data on a monthly basis. Help partners understand key statistical findings.
• Use collected data to decide whether company should expand operations or reduce overall spending habits.
• Work with other economists and financial experts to learn about current domestic and global financial issues and how they impact the company at large.
• Use computer programs and other modeling tools to perform calculations and make data accessible to non-economists.
November 2012 – March 2014
• Collected and analyzed vast amounts of insurance and financial data from accounting department. Used these findings to better understand the economic state of the company.
• Attempted to predict market behavior and its impact on the private healthcare sector on a quarterly basis.
• Advised chief executives on the buying and selling of company assets and stocks.
• Presented data findings and mathematical models to company heads. Helped forge plans for company financial growth and expansion.
• Assisted chief financial officer with establishing premium prices and tracking financial data throughout the company.
January 2011 – October 2012
• Advised company owners prior to the sale or acquisition of company assets.
• Used data and models to better understand the company’s financial health. Conveyed findings to company supervisors and executives.
• Maintained the order of important financial documents, and backed up important information to software program.
• Statistically analyzed students and school behavior so administrators and company could improve classroom performance.
Education and Training
Master of Science in Economics – May 2009
University of California at City, State
• Ability to perform complex mathematical operations and model data
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Attention to detail
• Knowledge of most common economic and financial accounting software programs
• Capable of simplifying economic and mathematical data using modeling tools
• Fluent in English, Japanese, and Italian
Hobbies and Interests
I currently have a strong interest in science and technological developments. I keep abreast of the most important scientific discoveries, particularly in the field of astronomy, and I enjoy conversing about them. I am also fond of reading and art, and when I am not at work or studying for my PhD in Economics, I can be found reading a book (usually a mystery book). I also have a second-degree black belt in Karate.
Economist CV Questions
How do you write a summary statement for an economist CV?
Your role as an economist relies on precise facts and figures to make accurate decisions, projections, and predictions. Your summary statement for your CV should be just as precise, using arrow-sharp linguistic skills and powerful verbiage to make a strong statement for your candidacy.
To accomplish this, follow the example set by our economist CV sample to build a succinct summary of no more than three sentences or bullet points. Choose the top three marketable skills that have the most value to your target job, and spend a sentence describing your capacity in each.
What’s the best length for an economist CV?
We always advocate for a one-page CV, but for more senior roles you can get away with bleeding into two pages as long as the material has substance and value. Try to trim anything redundant, and avoid listing more than 10–15 years of experience. Keep your older positions as short as possible, and eliminate unnecessary information such as hobbies or obsolete training.
If you follow this advice, even with a longer work history you’ll often find you can condense to a single page. Check our economist CV sample for an example of how to make a single-page CV stunning.
What’s the best CV template to use for an economist CV?
Your experience in economics has likely taught you that your colleagues have no room or patience for fluff, bells, or whistles. They want straight facts, and the same preference often applies to your CV. That means you need a clean, straightforward format that presents the facts in a well-organized way with a clear, simple reading flow.
How can you separate your economist CV from other candidates’ CVs?
Aim for a modern style over something more traditional, with excellent use of formatting to clearly delineate sections. Our economist CV sample is a great example of this, or why not try our resume builder to effortlessly create your own CV?
Just because your CV is factual doesn’t mean it needs to be dry. Avoid the trap of boring phrasing that makes every other economist CV blend together; instead create an engaging document using action-oriented writing and powerful action verbs.
What should you include about your accomplishments on your economist CV?
Each job description in your CV should consist of only six to eight bullet points, which means making practical choices in which achievements to show. You may have a long history of dozens of accomplishments, but if you try to include all this information in your CV you may well lose your readers.
Instead narrow it down to no more than five, and focus on those with the most oomph. Pack a punch with metrics that show quantifiable value, as in our economist CV sample. Make an impact by displaying the achievements with the strongest results.
Using a Job Description to Create a Standout Economist CV
A Sample Economist Description
Here at Spectrum Healthcare, we are currently seeking an experienced economist to help us better understand the financial state of our enterprise. The ideal candidate will have at least a graduate degree in economics and have a strong understanding of advanced mathematics and the private healthcare system. In this role, you will be charged with interpreting data and presenting your findings to various department heads – you will report regularly to the Chief Financial Officer. In addition to a strong economics background, the right candidate will possess a friendly demeanor and a love of working towards a common goal with others. After 60 days of employment, the economist will be eligible for benefits.
- Use mathematical formulas and economic principles to analyze data provided by staff.
- Collaborate with other economists to create visual representations of findings.
- Advise chief financial executives on various issues.
- Use data to understand how company performs during specific market conditions.
- Publish findings in company pamphlet each quarter.
- Help implement financial and economic measures on a structural scale.
In this role, you must have a firm understanding of economic and mathematical concepts. Read over the following list of skills and decide if you may be a good fit for the job:
- Have at least a master’s degree or MBA specialization in economics
- At least three years of direct experience in the healthcare field
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Knowledge of advanced mathematics (algebra, statistics, and some calculus)
- Strong attention to detail
- Superb critical thinking and analysis skills
How to Employ the Job Description in Your Economist CV
By tailoring your curriculum vitae to a job description, you can easily produce a well-crafted document like the economist cv template you just read. You will need to ensure that your CV is properly formatted and that your accomplishments match up with the job posting. You should also be sure to emphasize your ability to fit into the company’s culture and corporate structure. An easy way to do this is to use a few important keywords throughout your CV.
Before writing, read the job description carefully and choose any words that stand out. These keywords can be used in the most important sections of your CV and will take ATS systems into consideration. The economist cv template above integrates keywords from the job posting in a professional manner. By using keywords, you can boost your chances of getting noticed by the hiring manager and obtain the job you’ve always dreamed of having.