Even though DevOps is still a growing professional discipline, you are likely to encounters several others who are trying to secure the same positions you’re applying for. A well-composed curriculum vitae can set you apart, but only if you have the right resources available to help you create one. Included here is a DevOps engineer cv template along with a few writing tips to help you see exactly how such a document should be structured. Consult these resources as you’re writing your own CV, and you’ll be able to quickly create an effective tool to submit alongside your applications.
DevOps Engineer CV Template
Salt Lake City, Utah 11111
E: email@example.com P: 555-000-1111
Experienced software developer looking for position as a dedicated DevOps engineer. Have 12 years of experience in business network development, both on the coding and the administrative sides. Education and early positions primarily in coding, while recent works as a network strategist has helped to develop a strong appreciation and knowledge of DevOps principles.
Business Network Strategist
Homegrown Insurance Solutions
July 2014 – Current
• Work closely with system administrator in reviewing internal network performance for regional health insurance provider.
• Search for systemic shortcomings to determine if such errors can be corrected through simple coding fixes or if new software solutions need to be deployed to replace obsolete applications.
• Coordinate with network management and IT departments to determine what sort of virtual environments (i.e., desktop, mobile) applications will be utilized the most.
• Collaborate with three other in-house programmers to create new system applications supported by the most current technology and offer the most in terms on functionality.
• Report to internal data systems director whatever network performance issues are determined to be problems with development as opposed to setup or security issues.
• Supervised the implantation of over 20 software patches and four application re-engineering projects.
Technical Systems Architect
Homegrown Insurance Solutions
October 2009 – July 2014
• Tasked with developing and maintaining network infrastructure under the guidance of system administrator.
• Participated in meetings with data systems director to help to review proposed application ideas coming from both frontline department employees as well as upper management.
• Wrote the primary code for 13 different software patch deployments and five completely re-engineered applications.
• Prepared training materials to be shared with departments affected by software updates to ensure their comfort levels with new application capabilities.
• Worked with external coding consultants and web development team to create and implement a completely new claim-processing tool alongside other network applications in 2012.
Software Solutions Agent
Corporate Marketing Consulting Partners
June 2005 – October 2009
• Worked alongside another program developer to create programs designed to serve as analytics interpreters for clients.
• Handled all of the primary coding for designated application and assisted co-worker in creating and including desired performance functionality in patch updates.
• Trained clients on the best overall use of programs and how to troubleshoot issues should they arise.
• Received and reviewed feedback on program functionality and met routinely with both programing manager and various client representatives to discuss potential updates to future versions of applications.
• Assisted in the creation of beta-version of new performance data management tool that was rolled out for client testing shortly before ending tenure with company.
Education and Training
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science – 2005
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
Java Programmer Certification – 2005
• Comprehensive understanding of both network management and business application software development
• Expert understanding of various coding languages, including Java, Python, and PHP
• Strong critical thinking skills that assist in program and process re-engineering
• Well-developed eye for detail
• Good communicator in both technical and laymen’s terms
Hobbies and Interests
Avid cyclist who has completed eight century rides. Fan of classic movies who serves as one of the primary organizers of yesteryear summer movie series at local theater. Enjoy restoring vintage radio equipment.
DevOps Engineer CV Questions
What sections should you include in your DevOps Engineer CV?
Your curriculum vitae should maintain good flow throughout, effectively transitioning readers from one point to the next. Structuring your sections accordingly allows you to do this. Start with a strong summary statement that provides a high-level overview of your skill set and experience. Then, expound upon those attributes in separate skills and work experience sections. Include a section sharing the details of your education, and finish with one in which you share your hobbies and interests.
Consult the DevOps engineer CV sample to get an idea of the level of detail to include in each section. Be careful not to restate points across sections. Our resume builder will also show you how to make your transitions between sections effortless.
What skills are best to list on a DevOps Engineer CV?
As a DevOps engineer has to wear multiple hats, your skills section should reflect a broad range of both technical knowledge and soft skills. You of course want to be able to show that you are capable of advanced coding and development, but also that you are able to communicate technical terms to front-line personnel. Notice how in the DevOps engineer CV sample, communication and critical thinking skills appear alongside coding and network management techniques.
Remember to write to consider your audience as well. The person reading your application may not have a technical background, so it is best to avoid overly complicated jargon.
What should go in the experience section of your DevOps Engineer CV?
Your work history should provide a clear picture of your professional experience. This does not require listing every job you have ever held, however. You can see in the DevOps engineer CV sample that the applicant has listed his previous experience chronologically starting with his current employer, yet only mentions those jobs that relate to the one his is seeking.
It is also important to include detailed metrics when describing your accomplishments. This provides readers with a sense of context and allows them to better appreciate the impact your work may have had.
How do you write about hobbies in your CV?
Employers like to know what an applicant’s hobbies and interests are to formulate an idea of what his or her personality might be. While fitting into a company’s culture is important, however, you should not dedicate extensive space to this section.
Follow the example of the DevOps engineer CV sample in only providing basic details about what you do in your spare time. Do not share any information here about your political or religious beliefs, as this may alienate some readers.
What is the best length for a DevOps engineer CV?
Job recruiters typically have a minute or less to review your CV. Glancing over a document that is any longer than a single page may be next to impossible in such a short amount of time. That is why the DevOps engineer CV sample shown here is purposefully short. It conveys all necessary information in only one page.
By utilizing elements such as headers and bullet points, you should be able to draw a reader’s attention to the most important information about you, thus ensuring he or she has everything needed to make an informed decision.
Using a Job Description to Create a Standout DevOps Engineer CV
A Sample DevOps Engineer Description
National pharmaceutical sales organization looking to implement DevOps principles into IT infrastructure seeking qualified DevOps Engineer. We’re looking to leverage your skills to help better our performance at providing our sales reps across the country with the software support they need. In this position, you’ll work with our chief business intelligence officer to help develop new tools that will serve to record and process purchase orders. You’ll also help influence the way we define our success by creating new metrics that will be relied upon to measure the impact of sales and service initiatives going forward. You’ll have the chance to interact with our sales reps as well as some of our larger clients and third-party development firms, allowing you to increase your own network of professional contacts.
• Manage the creation of new software applications that process financial, demographic, and resource information to create online purchase orders, reserve products for delivery, and keep clients informed of their order statuses.
• Consult with our own internal team members as well as with select clients to determine which software functionality best serves them in making both the purchasing and delivery processes easier.
• Work with contracted development team to create new applications, keeping all internal and external stakeholders informed of the progress of the development project at every step.
• Create and implement performance metrics that both measure the success of new initiatives and allow for feedback that lets organization remain agile in updating our tools and programs.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
• Three years of experience in software development
• One year of experience in network administration
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Previous personnel management experience preferred
How to Employ the Job Description in Your DevOps Engineer CV
You may be questioning why a sample job description has been included here alongside the DevOps engineer cv template. The reason is because just like the CV sample, the job description is another resource to help you in creating your own customized document. Whereas many hiring managers expect a resume to be a general employment reference tool, the expectation that comes with a CV is that it be tailored to the position you’re seeking. Thus, you’ll want to know the details of the job you’re applying for, specifically the keywords and phrases that serve to indicate how much of a subject matter expert you may be.
As the DevOps engineer cv template demonstrates, this informative tool not only affords you the chance to convey your expertise, but it also allows you to highlight your professional accomplishments (just as you see has been done in the Work Experience section). When detailing these achievements, it’s important to include specific metrics whenever possible. This allows a reader to reconcile the impact of your accomplishments against his or her own perceptions.