A forklift operator is responsible for loading and unloading all kinds of freight vehicles like trucks, trains, aeroplanes and ships, depending on location. However, forklift operators may work in a warehouse, factory, and supply yards or on loading docks. Forklift operators are usually hired to work on a contract basis.
Forklift Operator Job Duties
If you like operating heavy duty machinery and enjoy outdoor job, working as a forklift operator is a good choice. You should also be willing to work overtime. The following are the duties of a forklift operator:
1) Line hauling, loading and unloading freight vehicles using related equipment.
2) Picking and packaging orders.
3) Warehousing and shipping.
4) Maintaining simple inventory.
5) Verify items received.
6) Check the conditions and quality of items received.
7) Perform quality checks and safety measures.
8) Ensure timely delivery of freight.
9) Maintenance of all forklift related equipment.
10) Willing to work on contract basis ranging from 3 to 6 months or on an annual contract.
11) Willing to work in shifts and overtime.Create this Resume
Forklift Operator Knowledge and Skills
1) Ability and skill to manoeuvre the forklift without a pallet.
2) Ability to handle light and heavy lifting with ease.
3) Basic documenting skills.
4) Knowledge about related equipment and their maintenance.
5) Knowledge of all safety measures to be taken during the forklift operation.
6) Knowledge of warehouse inventory.
Forklift Operator Educational Qualifications and Experience
1) Candidates should have at least a high school degree or any diploma certificate.
2) Candidates must possess a valid forklift license.
3) Candidates without much educational background, but with many years of experience and a valid forklift license are also hired by industries.
4) Candidate must possess a valid certificate to operate a 950 loader or a 15,000 ton forklift.
5) A training certificate and minimum 2 years experience in forklift operation in any capacity is a normal requirement for companies hiring forklift operators.
6) Candidates are required to submit to health checks.
Forklift Operator Salary and Benefits
1) Forklift operators are required to work on an 8 hour shift. The average pay per hour for a forklift operator is between $11 and $13, while overtime pay rate ranges from $12 to $15.
2) Forklift operators who choose to work on second shifts or third shifts are paid $14 per hour.
3) Forklift operators hired on a full time basis are offered attractive salaries and other benefits depending on the policies of the company.
4) Forklift operators hired on part-time basis have the benefit of choosing their weekly offs.
More Sample Job Description Articles:
- Graphic Designer Job Description
- Health Unit Coordinator Job Description
- Home Health Aide Job Description