An insurance agent is a person who sells insurance products and services. Insurance agents should have a prescribed license to sell various kinds of insurance products like life insurance, health insurance, property insurance, etc. You can either seek to be employed by an insurance agency or choose to work independently at your own pace since it does not involve any capital.
Insurance Agent Job Duties
If you are the kind of person who enjoys marketing and selling, enjoy meeting different kinds of people from various walks of life, and want to have an alternative career or a job to work at your own pace, then being an insurance agent is the kind of job where you may fit in. The following are the duties of an insurance agent.
1) Seek new customers to whom they can sell the insurance products
2) Service existing customers with claims, financial planning, education plans or retirement plans.
3) Seek companies as prospective clients
4) Build relationships with business partners
5) Be responsible for the profitable growth of the company and for contributing in achieving the sales goal
6) Maintain detailed records of clients, their policies and other details
7) Maintain correspondence with clients to remind payment of premiums, maturity of policies, etc.Create this Resume
Insurance Agent Knowledge and Skills
1) Knowledge about the insurance market trends
2) Update on new products and services in the insurance industry
3) Ability to identify and provide customer centred products and services
4) Accuracy in mathematical calculations
5) Knowledge of interest rates and other details
6) Good interpersonal skills and thorough knowledge of all the products and services related to insurance
Insurance Agent Educational Qualifications and Experience
1) A high school diploma or any other equivalent degree
2) A state license to sell insurance products
3) A certificate approved by the National Association of Securities Dealers will qualify to market and sell mutual funds and other securities
4) Many of the insurance companies prefer college experience
5) Minimum 1 year’s experience in sales in any field.
6) Previous experience of selling insurance is an added advantage
Insurance Agent Salary and Benefits
1) Successful insurance agents can earn annually up to $40,000 to $75,000 in the first year and opportunity to earn from $50,000 to $125,000 increases in the second year, depending on the number of sales
2) Insurance companies offer great benefit plans like medical insurance, dental insurance, vacation pay, commission incentives and other benefits according to the policies of the company.