When it comes to designing your ideal career in a creative industry, a mesmerizing resume is one of the keys to success. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the graphic design workforce is not only growing at an average rate, but also teeming with fierce competition. If you want to pique the interest of hiring managers and stand out against the pack, you should aim to showcase your skills and achievements while adhering to best writing practices.
Fortunately, you can make sure you meet both requirements by cross checking your resume against example documents. To help in your quest to land the perfect job, we’ve assembled some of the most popular graphic designer resume samples. Read on to learn why these samples are so effective and who can benefit from each.
Graphic Designer Resume Samples
As a 2D animator, you use your creative vision and technical prowess to bring stories, ideas, and characters to life. Now, it’s time to apply that same creativity in another two-dimensional space: your resume! This time, you will impress your audience, recruiters, and hiring managers with a well-written and inspiring document.
- Graphic designers who specialize in 2D animation for a wide variety of clients and purposes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Visio and Apple Final Cut Pro software
- Understanding of media production
- Model and image design experience
- Story and character development
- Ability to adapt vision to different clients’ goals
Graphic Designer Skills To Include:
More Information: Take a look at our 2D animator resume sample for more information.
When you have a combination of highly-technical and artistic abilities, as most 3D animators do, you need a resume that’s as powerful as your skill set. Show recruiters that you not only understand well-crafted design, but also how to implement it to achieve results. Using graphic designer resume samples can help with this process.
- Multimedia artists and animators specializing in three-dimensional spaces and who are pursuing jobs in video production, video gaming, advertising, mobile-application development, and other business and entertainment capacities.
- Expertise in Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D and other CAD software
- Experience creating live graphics for on-air purposes
- Ability to interpret 3D models and produce new ones
- Strengths in project management and communication
- Understanding of professional media tenets
Graphic Designer Skills To Include:
More Information: For further information, feel free to reference our 3D animator resume sample.
As a seasoned graphic designer, you may feel compelled to create a resume that focuses more on aesthetics than content. Resist this urge! Instead, impress hiring managers with clean content that puts all the focus on your unique skills, experience, and accomplishments.
- Experienced graphic designers who create visual content for a diverse array of purposes and who are seeking a position with a business, agency, or entertainment organization.
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign and desktop publishing software expertise
- Graphics and video creation and editing
- Knowledge of technical planning, drawing, blueprinting, and modeling for production
- Critical thinking ability
- Outstanding verbal communication and listening
Graphic Designer Skills To Include:
More Information: Rely on our graphic designer resume sample to get the ideas going.
When you are trying to secure your very first job as an entry-level graphic designer, you already know you face steep competition. For this reason, your resume needs to shine and prove you have what it takes to succeed. Reference our graphic designer resume samples for inspiration.
- Graphic designers who are pursuing their first job out of college and looking for a position with any type of creative organization or agency.
- Command of CADD software
- Experience in digital and print design
- Proficiency in desktop publishing software
- Project management ability
- Active listening and communication strengths
- Creative problem solving
Graphic Designer Skills To Include:
More Information: Get started by checking out our entry-level graphic designer resume sample.
Popular Graphic Designer Resume Questions
It’s a common misconception that a graphic designer’s resume should deviate from the traditional. Although you certainly want to show off your artistry, this is best accomplished in content rather than catchy colors, fonts, or infographics. Even in a creative industry, many hiring managers find these kinds of resumes to be distracting. Err on the safe side by keeping your resume crystal clear and to the point. See our graphic designer resume samples for guidance.2. What’s the best way to include digital skills on a graphic designer resume?
As a visionary with a vast knowledge of computer technology, you likely have no shortage of digital skills to convey. We recommend sprinkling these in throughout your resume. List one or two of your strongest, most relevant skills in your summary statement. Then, name a few more in your areas of expertise section. Don’t overdo it here, as you should also leave room for soft strengths, such as problem solving or active listening, which will make you a well-rounded candidate.
Finally, cover any remaining digital skills in your work experience section. Under each of your previous positions, name the specific software you worked with regularly. You can also list any special certifications or training in your education section, starting with the most recent and working backwards. Use our graphic designer resume samples for inspiration.
Even though you may create much of your work alone, chances are you still have had to consult with colleagues to produce results. This is true whether you have led a team of fellow designers or collaborated with people in other departments, such as advertising or business development. Make sure recruiters know you are effective in these kinds of group settings, as this is a highly desirable quality no matter where you work.
Whether or not you have led a team, in your work experience, try to incorporate a time you worked with colleagues on a common goal. Then, quantify the results you achieved with a measurable number or figure. Here is an example: Led a team of 15 graphic designers in creating an advertisement campaign, resulting in a 10% increase in customers over six months.
The best way to distinguish your resume is to incorporate the most relevant balance of skills, achievements, and experience. Many graphic designers focus too heavily on technical abilities. Although these are certainly important, recruiters need to know you can translate your technological command into success for the business and its customers. Reference our graphic designer resume samples for ideas.5. What should I do to make sure my graphic designer resume makes it past an ATS?
Because competition is fierce in the graphic design industry, many employers use applicant-tracking systems to weed out resumes before they ever look at them. You can increase your odds of making it through this round of the application process by incorporating keywords from the job posting. Pull out recurring phrases and insert them directly into your resume to appease the tracking bots.
Graphic Designer Resume Tips
A resume is the sure shot key to your success. If as a graphics designer, your resume comes across as weak and lacking information, you’ll stand a lesser chance of landing the position or deal you want.
This sample graphic designer resume will give you a kick start on building an optimized resume for your job application. Visitors can feel free to customize and edit our sample designer resume as per their requirement for job application. We hope that our sample designer resume will go a long way in portraying your abilities and skill sets efficiently and to the core of your abilities
The following guidelines can be followed when sending hardcopy resumes that will be scanned:
- Mail an original copy without folds or staples. A faxed resume may not be easy to scan.
- Avoid graphics, underlining, italics, shading and bold.
- Avoid tabs.
- Parenthesis, horizontal or vertical lines and brackets will not scan properly.
- Avoid using compressed lines of print.
- Use sans serif font in size 10-14.
Graphic Designer Resume Template
Contact Information :
- Full name
- Permanent addresses
- Telephone/Mobile numbers
- Email address
Objective: Short and brisk statement that includes position that is in hold along with relevant skills. Position as a senior creative graphics designer in an advertising agency
Education : In reverse chronological order required information includes:
- Degree(s) and major
- Date of graduation (month and year)
- Universities you attended
- Location of universities (city and state)
- Any certifications of licenses related to your degree
Special Skills : This includes computer and language skills. May also include job specific skills of any sort:
- Computer skills: List specific languages and programs
- Language skills: Specify language and your level of proficiency.
- HTML, CorelDraw and Adobe Photoshop and several other Graphic Designing and Web Designing Softwares.
- Experience: Begin by listing the most recent first in the list.
- Employer name and location (city and state)
- Dates of employment
- Active description of your accomplishments and responsibilities.
Activities : You may want to list your significant community activities including organizations, clubs, student government, athletics, and professional affiliations. You may also use action verbs to describe your responsibilities and accomplishments just as you have done in the Experience section.
Listed below are a few important tips that can help you build an effective Graphics Designer resume providing a great opportunity to enhance your career.
Prioritize Job Duties By Importance Make a list of every relevant duty that you perform on the job. Then prioritize your list, starting with the most important and ending with the least important.
Market Your Top Skills To advance your career, focus on your best skills. Few of them are listed below that can be used as headings in your clerical resume. For example: Art Direction, Computer document files support service, direct art freelancers
Apply For Positions That Match Your Highest Skills: Using strong language skills and describing the full range of your potentials makes employers take a fresh look at your value to their company and results in upward career growth.
Take On Higher Level Job Duties Keep an eye for duties in your organization that can help you expand your resume and your value to the company. Even though you may only perform such duties for a small percentage of the time, they can be used as powerful headings in your resume or to convince employers that you are worthy of deserving a promotion.
See also Graphic Designer Cover Letter samples on Resume-Now.com!