Sample Business Analyst Job DescriptionWe’re looking for a Business Analyst with Oracle ERP Cloud Service experience (preferred), a thorough understanding of human resources business functions, and experience in requirements gathering, business process improvement, and software testing including planning, execution, and reporting. Some of the specific requirements include:
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a business analyst. Usability/ user experience expertise a plus.
- Experience and proficiency in preparing planning documents and written reports.
- Ability to produce high quality requirement specifications to support ERP functional design development.
- Writes detailed functional test plans to ensure system changes work properly, existing processes remain unaffected, and the needs of the users are met.
- Creates scripts for training all internal users, support personnel, and external customers on ERP system changes and new procedures.
- Experience with MS Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project)
How to Target the Resume to the Job DescriptionUse the job description – I highlighted some key phrases above – to artfully match your resume to their needs. This does NOT mean you simply place every phrase in the description into your resume; that could be a huge turn-off. Instead use this as a guide as to what accomplishments you may include – and maybe which to leave out, if they have nothing to do with the new job. It also guides you as to what keywords / key phrases you might add to your resume if you don’t already have them there.Your goal is to focus your resume as best as possible on what the employer is looking for (being totally honest and using your real experience). Help the employer see where the things you’ve done are in synch with what they are looking for.For example, they mention ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) a few times as well as Oracle Cloud. Laura, our business analyst, hasn’t worked on Oracle Cloud, but she has worked on PeopleSoft (now owned by Oracle) that was based on an Oracle platform. So while she didn’t mention that before in her original resume (which included other things like project management and organizational development projects), for this job she will now add some job description words where appropriate. And she will add more emphasis to some other things her original resume only mentioned briefly, such as her experience with human resources and usability testing. Here and there she may borrow a phrase, but not a whole sentence!
New Targeted Business Analyst Resume ExampleCompare Laura’s new resume to the job description, and see how much of a match there is, even without Laura having exact Oracle Cloud ERP experience.
Final noteHaving been an internal recruiter trying to fill positions with exact requirements, I know I often had to stretch a bit on precise skills to find the candidate we really wanted, not only to decide whom to interview, but later on when I had to make the case to Human Resources that the person was indeed qualified.The more you show an employer how well you match through your resume and cover letter, the better your chances!
More Business Analyst examples:
More articles you might enjoy: