A law enforcement and security resume chronicles the career of a brave and dedicated professional. In law enforcement, your job is to put your life on the line for the people of your community. When you decide to get into the security field, you’re entrusted to protect people and valuable property. Many professionals decide to merge these two professions and take on that added responsibility.
What it’s Like to Work in Law Enforcement & Security
A career in the law enforcement and security field is exciting and different from day to day. You’re a highly trained and brave professional who’s expected to run towards danger instead of away from it. In most cases, a successful law enforcement and security resume lists a proficiency with weapons as well as extensive training in self-defense. When you work in the law enforcement and security field, you get a great deal of respect for those that you protect. Your presence commands respect, and your professionalism makes you someone that people rely on.
Benefits of Working in Law Enforcement & Security
A career in law enforcement and security is as stable as you want it to be. You can either apply for your hometown police force, or you can choose to take on a position with a security firm that will send you all over the world. The best part about working in the law enforcement and security field is that you can determine how lucrative your career will be. There’s always plenty of room for promotion and advancement that will increase your pay, and private security firms often give their experienced employees the option of choosing higher-paying assignments.
Why You Need a Resume
A comprehensive law enforcement and security resume is critical to getting the job you want because your employer will want to know everything about your past. The law enforcement and security industry is very strict with its background checks, and it all begins with your resume.
Law Enforcement and Security Resume Templates
- Police Officers Resume Templates
- Correctional Officers Resume Templates
- Detectives and Criminal Investigators Resume Templates
- Military Resume Templates
- Protective Services Resume Templates
- Security Guards and Surveillance Officers Resume Templates
- Security Management Resume Templates
How to write a Law Enforcement and Security Resume
- Create a list of your professional achievements – Use scratch paper to jot down your professional accomplishments.
- Inspect Law Enforcement and Security resume samples to help navigate the resume creation process – Use our collection of resume samples to get an idea of a strong Law Enforcement and Security resume.
- Write a header and place it at the top of your Law Enforcement and Security resume – Make a header that includes the following information: your full name, email address, phone number, and personal website (if you have one).
- Create a compelling summary statement – Set up a summary statement that encompasses your skills, accomplishments, and a general sense of your professional identity. Review the job description to make sure that you address the company’s needs as well.
- Include your skills in a qualifications or areas of expertise section – Next, make a list of your professional abilities for your Law Enforcement and Security resume. Ensure that each talent is applicable to the job description.
- Dive into your work history as a Law Enforcement and Security – Detail the Law Enforcement and Security jobs you’ve previously held. Be sure to include the position you held, the company’s name, and the dates you worked.
- Go deeper into your Law Enforcement and Security work history – Go back to the list you created in step one. Using this, make a short list of your responsibilities and successes at each job. Relate it to the needs expressed in the job description.
- Tack on your education section – Remember to include the highest degree or diploma you obtained. Include the name of the school and the year you got it (or will get it).