When searching for a job, your resume should be professional and relevant so you stand out from the other applicants. This is your opportunity to highlight your experiences and accomplishments and prove you are a qualified candidate. The following lab technician resume template for Word gives you tips on how to format your document and what you should include. Use the job description as a guide to create your summary statement and the skills, work history, and education sections.
Lab Technician Resume Template for Word
Master Your Summary Statement
The summary statement is often the first and only section an employer reads, so it is important to highlight the important stuff right away. As the lab technician resume template for Word demonstrates, make sure you include important hard and soft skills that set you apart. If you have worked in the industry awhile, it is also a good idea to say how many years of experience you have. Limit this section to three sentences to make it easy to read.
Lab Technician Summary Statement Example
Laboratory professional with over 10 years’ experience. Able to work efficiently on multiple tasks with minimal supervision. Accurate, organized, and able to apply results in a timely manner.
Perfect Your Skills Section
This section is the place to highlight your top skills related to the job at hand. This is one place where the job description can help you out. Look for key qualifications and skills listed in the description and include those you have in your list. Doing this will help you stand out to employers who use applicant tracking systems. Make sure you use the exact words or phrases. The lab technician resume template for Word shows how this is done, but the following list gives some examples of industry-friendly skills:
• Highly organized
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and adapt quickly
Polish Your Work History Section
Your past and current work experience is highlighted in this section. Focus on career accomplishments, and use the job description as a guide. The lab technician resume template for Word demonstrates how to create this section.When writing about your work history, use bullet points and start each line with a strong action verb. Using quantifiable metrics, such as numbers and percentages, also helps demonstrate your success. The following are a couple of examples of how this section should look:
Lab Technician II – TRL Plasma Laboratories – January 2013 – Present
• Monitor the heat sealing and aseptic sampling of plasma units; place units of plasma into freezer in timely manner in order to ensure quality of product
• Label plasma samples and units properly and store according to policy; manage an average of 50 different plasma units on a regular basis
• Evaluate refrigerator and freezer temperatures ad inform supervisor if equipment is malfunctioning
• Maintain efficient and clean work environment and ensure inventory is stocked properly; answer phones and answer questions or transfer calls to appropriate departmentLab Technician I – ABC Medical Technologies, Inc. – May 2007 – January 2013
• Operated laboratory equipment, such as cell counters and microscopes, to analyze urine, blood, and tissue samples; recorded both normal and abnormal findings; had less than a .1 percent margin of error in sample findings
• Used computerized instruments and automated equipment to perform multiple tests at one time; maintained calibration and proper function of equipment on a regular basis
• Entered data from tests into physician reports; discussed abnormal results with supervisor and re-ran tests before logging data into patient’s medical record
Refine Your Education Section
The education section can be a highly relevant part of your document, especially for jobs that require an advanced education. Your background should be communicated in a simple and direct way so it is easy to read.
List your most recent degree first and go backwards from there. If you graduated more than 10 years ago, you can leave the graduation date off but you don’t have to. There is no need to include your high school diploma unless it is the only education you have. As the lab technician resume template for Word shows, this is also the section to list certifications and professional trainings.
Lab Technician Education Section Example
Medical Laboratory Technician – 2009
Associate of Science – 2008