If you’re applying for a position as an external auditor, you probably have significant training and extensive experience in the field. However, experience alone won’t get your foot in the door if your CV isn’t up to par. Looking at sample CVs is one of the best ways to make sure your own document shines a light on your superior qualifications and catches the eye of the hiring organization. Take a look at this external auditor cv template to gain some useful ideas for crafting your own CV and landing that essential interview.
External Auditor CV Template
123 Fake Street | City, State, Zip Code
E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 000-000-0000
Self-starter with a substantial background in accounting, finance services, and auditing. Professional with a history of successfully shouldering heavy responsibilities and exceeding high expectations in a line of work that requires accuracy, orientation to detail, and clear thinking. Skilled in identifying financial risks, procedural errors, and questionable actions at local, state, national, and international levels. Fluent with regional and international regulations and policies relating to compliance in the financial industry.
- Manage and update a wide variety of regional databases and reports, including the Commonwealth’s Information Statement, annual financial reports, weekly bond reports, and debt database.
- Record debt-related transactions based on information provided by the Office of the State Treasurer.
- Conduct internal and external debt reconciliations and develop debt analytics.
- Undertake analysis of state financial accounts and prepare reports on the findings.
- Recommend revisions to state accounting policies and practices to streamline the process and ensure transparency and accountability.
- Identify and draw attention to errors or problematic requests and actions.
- Comply with department, state, and federal regulations, policies, and procedures.
January 2010-May 2014
- Carefully reviewed internal processes to promote transparency while protecting company interests.
- Accurately identified, reported, and endeavored to resolve financial risks, procedural errors, and ineffective controls.
- Executed revisions and additions to procedures and promoted awareness among staff.
- Collaborated with managers as well as internal and external auditors and consultants to ensure audit processes were effective and efficient.
July 2008-December 2009
- Developed and implemented initiatives for regulatory compliance.
- Monitored these initiatives for efficacy and reported findings and project milestones to compliance managers at regional and global levels.
- Oversaw remediation of compliance issues and risk to ensure involved parties addressed problems in a timely, responsible fashion.
- Worked closely with regional and global compliance managers to comprehend, implement, review, and revise compliance practices and policies as necessary.
- Successfully led multiple compliance committees.
Certified Financial Risk Manager – 2009
Global Association of Risk Professionals
Master of Finance – 2008
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Sloan School of Management
Certified Public Accountant certification – 2006
Massachusetts Board of Public Accountancy
Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting – 2006
University of Massachusetts
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to report audit findings within professional circles and translate research into layman’s terms as necessary
- Strong data analysis capabilities
- Competency with accounting systems and mathematical functions
- Familiarity with auditing policies and procedures, particularly those spelled out in the Comptroller’s Accounting Manual and the Office of the State Auditor’s manuals
- Fluency with relevant software, including Microsoft Office, ACL Audit Exchange, and Oracle
One of the elements that drew me to Boston was its unique place in American history, which has always been one of my interests. Thus, I am highly involved in the Boston Landmarks Commission, an agency dedicated to historic preservation. I also am an avid gardener and am thrilled to be taking sailing lessons.
External Auditor CV Questions
How do you make an external auditor CV?
The first step in building a professional CV is having a strategy. That strategy should center around a clear, well-written structure using action-oriented language and succinct bullet points. Start your CV with summary covering your qualifications in three confidently written sentences or bullet points, and continue with a list of keyword skills before closing out with work history and education.
Make sure to sprinkle your work history liberally with achievements. If you need more help, review our external auditor CV sample or try our resume builder to create a CV effortlessly.
What should your education section look like in an external auditor CV?
Your education section should be simple. Once you’ve finished the other sections you likely won’t have much space left if you want to keep your CV on one page, so make the most of what few lines you have by being selective in what you list.
Start with your degrees listed in reverse chronological order, and follow with any certifications detailed from newest to oldest. Cut out anything obsolete or irrelevant to keep from taking up too much space. For an example of a great way to format your education section, review our external auditor CV sample.
What’s the best way to show you work well in a team on an external auditor CV?
As an external auditor, you’ll need to quickly blend into client teams on a regular basis. Your ability to swiftly form a rapport with a team of complete strangers is invaluable. To show off this ability you can discuss times in which you worked with client teams to overcome particular challenges.
What’s the best way to list certifications on your external auditor CV?
You can refer to our external auditor CV sample for an idea of how to write such instances as accomplishments integrated with your work history. Talk about partnering with client audit teams or collaborating with management to gather requirements.
You’ve likely acquired several certifications no matter what area of auditing you’ve worked in. You can append many of them after your name in the header as abbreviations, but you should also detail your audit certifications in your education section. As with degrees and training, list them in reverse chronological order along with any awarding institutions.
What should you do to make sure your external auditor CV makes it past an ATS?
If you’ve never heard the term “ATS,” it refers to “Applicant Tracking Systems,” or algorithms that parse your CV to determine if your skills are a match for the job. To increase your chances of passing this stage of screening, include a list of skill keywords such as the one found in our external auditor CV sample.
This list lets you easily customize your CV for any job application by changing the spotlighted skills to match phrases found in the job advertisement. Use this wisely to improve your keyword match percentages.
Using a Job Description To Create a Standout External Auditor CV
A Sample External Auditor Description
The Office of the State Auditor is committed to ensuring transparency, accountability, and integrity among the businesses, departments, and agencies that contract with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. If you are a self-starter who enjoys tackling challenges and meeting high expectations, the position of external auditor might be right for you. In this post, you will have the unique opportunity to contribute substantially to the performance and management of a diverse array of government programs and policies. You will report directly to the Audit Supervisor.
As an external auditor, you will be responsible for the following:
- Conduct small audits related to activities and accounts of contractors with the state with tasks including supervising field staff and overseeing daily activities.
- Provide support for large-scale audits and audit staff by performing a variety of audit duties as assigned.
- Compile, prepare, review, and present audit findings to contractor representatives and other parties as necessary to assist agencies in improving accountability, performance, and budget capabilities.
- Collaborate with audit staff and Audit Supervisor to promote team performance.
- Provide training and performance evaluations for all parts of the audit process to audit staff, including field auditors.
The Office of the State Auditor is looking for the following skills and qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in finance or a related field (graduate degree in finance or accounting preferred)
- At least three years of experience in financial services with a background and demonstrated success in internal or external audits
- Certification as a CPA or similar licensing
- Strong communication abilities necessary to compile and present reports on audit findings
- Understanding of financial risk management practices
- Computer fluency, with a particular emphasis on Microsoft Office and audit software, such as ACL Audit Exchange
How To Employ the Job Description in Your External Auditor CV
The role of external auditor requires significant education and experience, as indicated in the sample job description above. If you’re applying for the job, it’s safe to assume you have the chops. However, it is essential that your CV not only highlights your academic and experiential background but also acknowledges the requirements of the particular job posting to which you are responding. Otherwise, your CV may look generic and find its way only as far as the recycling bin. By employing key terms from the job description, you can tailor your CV to a particular company and improve your chances of getting a call back from the hiring manager.
The sample job description stresses not only familiarity with auditing procedures but also the necessity of reporting your findings. Thus, the external auditor cv template highlights the applicant’s familiarity with compliance policies, her ability to communicate those findings to the powers that be, and her capability to offer suggestions to resolve errors and systemic problems. This external auditor cv template also showcases the applicant’s extensive educational background, certifications, and computer skills (particularly with auditing software) based on the requirements detailed in the job posting.