A job in hotel management can be challenging to get, so it is crucial you create a good first impression for the hiring manager. A resume is the best way to demonstrate why you are the perfect candidate for the position because it provides your relevant skills and experience. One of the challenges is to present this information in a way that is easy and quick to read.
Consult sample resumes to get ideas of what to include and how. We have assembled a number of hotel manager resume samples, tailored to specific positions, which provide a guide as to how to write your own professional document.
Hotel Manager Resume Samples
Hotel Manager Resume Sample
The job market for hotel management can be competitive, and employers are looking for applicants who demonstrate strong leadership and problem-solving skills. Make sure your resume showcases these abilities as well as examples of how you have managed effectively in past positions.
- New or seasoned managers with a desire to work in the hospitality industry in a hotel or resort setting.
Hotel Manager Skills To Include:
- Excellent ability to solve guest-related and personnel issues in a practical and creative way
- Experienced with customer service
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to motivate and direct staff
- Great organizational skills
More Information: Take a look at this hotel manager resume sample for guidance.
Senior Hotel Manager Resume Sample
There is even more competition for senior management roles, as there are fewer of them. Not only do you need to point out your strongest skills and abilities, you need to illuminate past experiences and show how you reached specific achievements. Look at the hotel manager resume samples for examples.
- Experienced hotel managers with a keen understanding of all aspects of management and hotel departments.
Hotel Manager Skills To Include:
- Strong leadership skills, especially in conflict resolution and personnel motivation
- Ability to multitask in a busy and stressful environment
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Outstanding active listening
- Great communication skills with positive outlook
More Information: Take the time to consult our senior hotel manager resume sample for more details.
What sections should I include in my hotel manager resume?
The sections you should include in your hotel manager resume are similar to those you would have in resumes for other industries. The summary statement should be the first section after your identifying information. Next is a brief section pointing out your skills, and then one that demonstrates your professional experiences. You should list two to three jobs, as the hotel manager resume samples demonstrate. Lastly, your education section should illuminate your degrees and/or professional affiliations.
Which skills are best to list on a hotel manager resume?
A management position calls for a variety of abilities, and a hotel manager should have additional skills related to the industry. Try to include between five and eight qualifications, using bullet points to make them easy and quick to read. Common skills related to management include leadership, communication, conflict resolution, problem-solving, and organizational capabilities.
You should also include skills and qualifications desired in the hospitality industry, as the hotel manager resume samples show. Some common examples of these are customer service, interpersonal, listening, and business skills such as spreadsheet creation and hotel operating systems. You should point out operational abilities as well as aptitudes as they relate to guest relations.
What should my education section look like in a hotel manager resume?
Depending on the specific position you are applying for, a hotel manager job may or may not require a specific level of education. This section should be concise and brief, including only relevant information. You should always list your most previous degree first, including name of the degree and name of the school, and then go backwards from there. You do not need to list graduation dates, especially if they were a while ago.
Do not include your high school diploma unless it is the only education designation you have. In this section, provide information that applies to the position. This may include specific coursework as part of your studies, professional seminars you have attended, specialized training, or professional organizations to which you belong.
How can I separate my hotel manager resume from other candidates’ resumes?
Because employers often receive numerous applications for the same job, it is crucial to make sure yours stands out. As some of the hotel manager resume samples demonstrate, a succinct summary that illuminates your most relevant skills and aptitudes helps catch the eye of the employer right away. Also make sure you list your skills in an easy-to-read manner.
When describing your work experiences, do so in a way that shows how you reached certain goals or solved particular problems. Use numbers or other quantitative measurements to demonstrate your accomplishments. It is also a good idea to employ specific keywords and phrases from the job description, as this further proves you are a good fit for the position.
What is the best length for a hotel manager resume?
In most situations, the best length for your resume is one page. This should provide hiring managers with enough information about your aptitudes and experience without having them get bored from reading an overly long document.
Hotel Manager Resume Tips
A hotel manager resume is so called as it combines the features of both chronological and a functional resume. It holds regard of your achievements while clearly providing career history in reverse chronological order.
It can provide excellent flexibility in that you can alter the emphasis of the resume to suit your hotel management abilities and situation. For example if you have few years in employment but many years in the hotel industry, then you can highlight education and keep the emphasis off work history.
The main headings are:
- Work history
Other headings can include:
- Career Objectives
The Resume must be able to demonstrate your promotions and career progressions, etc while highlighting your achievements at the same time. These types of resume offer considerable flexibility and can present you in the best possible light.
- If you have worked for different jobs but in the same role you may want to highlight skills in each post rather than repeat the similar list of job duties over and over.
- Manager Excellence Hotels & Towers, Minneapolis, MN 2002 – Present
- Assistant Manager Excellence Hotels & Towers, Minneapolis, MN 2000 – 2002
- If you apply for a designation that you have not done before, you can focus instead on your achievements and skills rather than on your previous job titles.
- If you done several different jobs in the hotel industry, again highlight accomplishments rather than work history. Lay emphasis on your work description.
- If you have just recently graduated and are low on employment experience you can emphasize your education, skills, volunteer work etc.
Available Hotel Manager Resumes
Looking for Cover Letter ideas? See our sample for Hotels Manager cover letter.