Guidance counselors at elementary schools help young children with difficulties they may face at school or at home, such as learning disabilities, adjustment or behavioural problems and offer guidance to overcome these or to improve existing performance.
Elementary School Guidance Counselor Job Duties
If you enjoy working with young children in a learning environment, have a good understanding of child psychology and would like to assist them in overcoming problems, you might derive great satisfaction out of working as an elementary school guidance counsellor, a role that will give you the opportunity to be a part of building a strong foundation for the future of a child.
Duties usually include:
1) Observing children and identifying their strengths, problems or areas for improvement.
2) Offering guidance to students, parents and teachers.
3) Monitoring the progress of children with difficulties to observe if improvement is being made.
4) Working with other teachers to help with the overall development of the students, not just their academic development.
5) Interacting with parents, understanding how the child is performing at home and whether there are any relevant conditions prevailing at home that may be affecting the child adversely and accordingly advising parents on how to assist the child.
6) Recommending appropriate psychological help if required.
7) Working with special needs and disabled children in some cases. .Create this Resume
Elementary School Guidance Counselor Knowledge and Skills
1) An approachable and calm disposition so that young children feel comfortable speaking with the counsellor.
2) Good knowledge of psychology and excellent observation skills to apply this knowledge to children’s behaviour.
3) Listening skills to understand the children, as well as to absorb inputs from parents and teachers.
Elementary School Guidance Counselor Educational Qualifications and Experience
1) A Bachelor’s degree in education or psychology may suffice but a Master of Education degree or Master of Arts degree in Education or Counselling is likely to attract a higher salary. In some schools it may be mandatory for the candidate to have a teacher’s certification.
2) Experience required is usually 2 – 5 years, though in some cases it may be more.
3) State certifications are essential, while those with National Certified School Counsellor (NCSC), Licensed Professional Counsellor (LPC), National Certified Counsellor (NCC) certifications are favoured and likely to draw higher salaries.
Elementary School Guidance Counselor Salary and Benefits
1) Average hourly rates are between $15 and $25, while annual Elementary School Guidance Counselor salaries range between $35,000 and $65,000.
2) Benefits offered by most schools include 401(k) or 403(b), life or disability insurance, tuition reimbursement, paid sick leave and vacation time.