How to write a Public Relations Resume
Public relations is a very popular career choice for many and those working in this area will need to know how to compete with the rest by writing a convincing public relations resume. As a general guide, the sample public relations resume structure below can be used. Public relations resume samples available on the Internet may offer good suggestions of the types of information to include but this is thought to provide the most comprehensive outline. This structure is recommended for your public relations resume:
All resumes should include your full name, telephone numbers, email address and other contact details at the top. Students detail both home address and address at university.
Public relations resumes for less experienced candidates ideally start with an objective. Objectives are one concise sentence that provides a goal for your resume and must be targeted at the job. This public relations resume sample suggests you develop this sort of objective, in your own words:
Public relations professional with journalism qualification and the ability to create messages to attract a target audience seeking position of increased responsibility.
Applicants with more experience can include a profile instead of an objective at this point in their public relations resume. Profiles are a few short sentences that draw attention to key experience and skills. Sample public relations resumes may have profiles like this:
Creative and enthusiastic public relations professional with proven ability to develop PR messages that attract attention. Strategic thinker with extensive client-facing experience who can tailor a campaign to deliver high results to clients. Public relations expert with extensive experience in the media industry and creating press releases that are newsworthy. Flexible public relations manager who brings an innovative approach to challenging public relations issues.
The profile above in this sample public relations resume shows how keywords and keyword phrases can be included in your profile to increase odds of being found in a job website search. Here sample phrases might be public relations manager or client-facing experience. Keywords are covered further below. Additionally, your profile commands the most important spot on your public relations resume, where your potential employers will look first. Use action verbs in your sentences for greater effect, and pay special attention to this key area.
Those public relations professionals with a few years of experience may want to include a main achievements section in their public relations resume right after the profile. Concentrate on just putting in five really very impressive achievements that are quantifiable. This may also be another place to work in keywords and phrases. Our sample public relations resume suggests that you do it something like this:
- Initiated groundbreaking PR campaign for TV company which secured 20% additional public interest compared against earlier efforts.
Public relations Education
Your education section should be detailed out in reverse chronological order. Useful degrees for public relations jobs include communications, journalism, English or possibly language degrees, depending on the job. Also include: subject/s studied, educational institutes attended and their location, dates of graduation, any professional qualifications awarded.
Public Relations Work Experience
Public relations work experience must also be detailed in reverse chronological order. Hiring managers in the public relations area will want to be informed about your achievements and successes with your public relations campaigns. Listing responsibilities only just wont wash in such a competitive environment. Our sample public relations resume includes bullet points that are put together like this:
- Instigated public relations campaign for non profit on a shoestring budget which generated $50,000 in fundraising for the company.
- Managed PR account for international client, securing press coverage in more than five countries on release of their latest product.
Or for less senior public relations resumes:
- Developed unique idea for press release which led to major press coverage of a small event at the university.
The bullet points must use action verbs to best emphasize your achievements. Here, weve used Instigated, Managed, and Developed.
Recent graduates applying for public relations positions may include any relevant information on activities taken part in at university. If these are in the fields of PR, communications or journalism, so much the better. Senior public relations professionals can mention affiliations with professional organizations or work carried out voluntarily for charities and such. Bullets should be powerful and use with action verbs.
Your public relations resume needs to have keywords included that will be searched by hiring managers when looking for suitable candidates to interview for jobs. A good sample public relations resume will include all of the keywords and phrases that an employer has included in the job advertisement. These are the phrases and keywords that employers will search for on job websites.
As an overview, the above should give you plenty of information about how sample public relations resumes should be structured for success. If still at school, your university may also be able to provide you with sample public relations resumes to look over for ideas. From this page you can find sample resumes to get you started.
Public Relations Resume Samples
- Account Director Resume Sample
- Account Executive Resume Sample
- Account Manager Resume Sample
- Account Supervisor Resume Sample
- Chapter Relations Administrator Resume Sample
- Chapter Relations Administrator Resume Template
- Communications Coordinator Resume Sample
- Communications Director Resume Sample
- Communications Director Resume Template
- Communications Editor Resume Sample
- Communications Editor Resume Template
- Communications Representative Resume Sample
- Communications Specialist Resume Sample
- Copywriter Resume Sample
- Corporate Communications Specialist Resume Sample
- Corporate Communications Specialist Resume Template
- Development Director Resume Sample
- Development Officer Resume Sample
- Director Of Development Resume Sample
- Director Of Public Relations Resume Sample
- Editor Resume Sample
- Editor Resume Template
- Executive Assistant Resume Sample
- External Communications Manager Resume Sample
- External Communications Manager Resume Template
- Financial Public Relations Associate Resume Sample
- Fundraising Manager Resume Sample
- Major Gifts Officer Resume Sample
- Managing Editor Resume Sample
- Marketing Associate Resume Sample
- Marketing Communications Director Resume Sample
- Marketing Communications Manager Resume Sample
- Marketing Coordinator Resume Sample
- Marketing Director Resume Sample
- Media And Communications Manager Resume Sample
- Media And Communications Manager Resume Template
- Media Coordinator Resume Sample
- Media Relations Manager Resume Sample
- Media Relations Manager Resume Template
- PR Account Executive Resume Template
- PR Account Manager Resume Template
- Pr Lobbyist Resume Sample
- Pr Manager Resume Sample
- PR Manager Resume Template
- Program Coordinator Resume Sample
- Public Affairs Specialist Resume Sample
- Public Affairs Specialist Resume Template
- Public Information Assistant Resume Sample
- Public Information Assistant Resume Template
- Public Information Officer Resume Sample
- Public Information Officer Resume Template
- Public Information Specialist Resume Sample
- Public Information Specialist Resume Template
- Public Relations (Pr) Coordinator Resume Sample
- Public Relations (Pr) Director Resume Sample
- Public Relations (Pr) Manager Resume Sample
- Public Relations (Pr) Specialist Resume Sample
- Public Relations Account Director Resume Template
- Public Relations Account Supervisor Resume Template
- Public Relations Communications Coordinator Resume Template
- Public Relations Copywriter Resume Template
- Public Relations Media Coordinator Resume Template
- Public Relations Public Relations Coordinator Resume Template
- Public Relations Public Relations Manager Resume Template
- Public Relations Relationship Manager Resume Template
- Relationship Manager Resume Sample
- Sample Public Relations Resume 1 Sample
- Sample Public Relations Resume 2 Sample
- Sample Public Relations Resume 3 Sample
- Social Media Specialist Resume Sample
- Social Media Specialist Resume Template
- Technical Writer Resume Sample