In case you need help with cover letter basicsTo help you with writing your own, I’m including a template of what a TARGETED cover letter might look like. But first, it might help to review the things that generally go into a strong cover letter:
==> What Goes Into a Good Resume Cover Letter?
Job description elements to target for this exampleThe job we’ll be using in this case is Business Analyst. So before I show you a sample cover letter, let’s first look at some key requirements in the job description (borrowed from a post about targeting business analyst resumes), since the description is where you find skills you want to target.“We’re looking for a Senior Business Analyst with Oracle experience (preferred), a thorough understanding of human resources business functions, and experience in requirements gathering, business process improvement, and software testing including planning, execution, and reporting. Some of the specific requirements include:
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a business analyst. Usability/ user experience expertise a plus.
- Oversees all functional aspects of system development, in partnership with the technical lead.
- Experience and proficiency in preparing planning documents and written reports.
- Ability to produce high quality requirement specifications to support ERP functional design development.
- Writes detailed functional test plans to ensure system changes work properly, existing processes remain unaffected, and the needs of the users are met.“
Example of a cover letter targeted to this job
Dear Hiring Manager, (NOTE: best to find an actual name if you can)
I am very interested in the Senior Business Analyst opening at ABC Company that I saw advertised on Dice.com. I hope you will consider my closely-related experience, as well as my strong interest in ABC Company, which I’ll be happy to talk more about when we speak.
As a Business Analyst at XYZ Company, I’ve worked extensively on their Oracle human resource and financial systems. I think you’ll find this experience especially relevant:
- Managed all functional aspects of major system upgrade to Oracle Human Resources legacy system
- Interviewed users and prepared detailed requirements documentation for new payroll system module
- Led user task groups to assure appropriateness and usability of new user interfaces and workflow components
- Worked with users and technical staff to develop test plans prior to major implementations
I have attached (included / pasted) my resume, and would appreciate the chance to explore this opportunity further with you. Please feel free to call me at 555-555-5555 if you have any questions or need additional information.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.