Java is a programming language used to develop computer applications and today, millions of developers use it frequently. Java developers are primarily responsible for designing and managing Java-based applications and developing robust codes. Integrating front-end (client-end) and backend (server-end) programs is a part of their daily routine.
If you’re a Java developer, you know that writing a perfect resume to demonstrate your specific skills and knowledge is an important task. That’s why we have compiled some key points below to explain the ins and outs of writing a compelling Java developer resume.
See What People are Saying About Us
Job Duties of a Java Developer
Java developers are responsible for planning, evolving, and supporting the applications and system solutions that can affect an entire business. They understand the most effective tools, methodologies, and languages essential for solving a particular business and technology problem. The duties of efficient Java developers vary based on the level of ownership over applications.
A few of the specific responsibilities of the Java developer are:
Designing, developing, implementing, and maintaining Java applications, codes, and software.
Analyzing software programming, testing, debugging, and recommending modifications to improve the established processes.
Identifying productive and non-production application issues like managing performance issues and transforming the requirements into stipulations to resolve the issue.
Recommending solutions and providing a support system to businesses to enhance their end-user experience.
Understanding the requirements of a client and user and suggesting appropriate solutions.
Writing well-designed, efficient, and testable Java code for the development of an application.
Java Developer Median Salaries
According to PayScale, an entry-level java developer having less than one year of experience earns an average total compensation of $60,356 per year. An early career Java developer with one year of experience makes an average total compensation of $71,955.
Top Skills for Java Developers
Java developers improve application functioning within a business through their solutions’ speed and scalability. This allows them to practice software development (Dev) and IT operations (Ops) by researching and suggesting methods and technologies to achieve their end goals. Industries looking for skilled Java professionals seek candidates that can learn and progress individually and with a team.
- Analytical mindset and problem-solving ability: Java development is a good job if you can hack it. Whether writing codes or developing software, this developer should be efficient in single-sourcing research and analytical skills.
- Hands-on experience with Git and version control system: Git and version control give Java developers the competence to manage version, release, and share and track code change for free with the development team. Hands-on experience from training and internships at any Java development firm will help them know how to enhance workflow. It makes agile software development much more manageable.
- Data structures and algorithms skills: At the core of the work is how to write the programs using knowledge of Java alongside data and algorithm skills. In layman’s terms, these two skills help you know how to organize data. Computer science programs, online videos, and coding boot camps are the main places where developers can learn how to write and use them.
- Database architecture knowledge: A database is a collection of data that provides structure to computer systems. The most common architecture is a database table that consists of rows and columns. Therefore, database knowledge is essential for a Java developer to manage unorganized data. Graduate courses in computer science, information technology, and engineering are ideal for learning data architecture.
- Hadoop/Big Data knowledge: Hadoop is the technology that enables adding and removing assets in Big Data which are large, complex data sets that, when analyzed, may show patterns and trends. It is a free software platform developed in Java language for cluster-oriented distributed computing and processing large volumes of data, with attention to fault tolerance.
- Vue JS: Vue uses an HTML-based syntax, which means developers can use HTML to work with Vue’s templates instead of learning a framework-specific language like Typescript. Nevertheless, its combination of simplicity and flexibility does not imply it is a feature-rich framework.
- Skilled with Spring Boot/Microservices: Microservices is a modular approach to building and managing software. Constructing applications as microservices allows developers to build each function separately from the whole. This makes frequent changes and program launches highly efficient.
Educational Requirements for Java Developers
Java development requires a highly technical background to build different computer applications using its specific programming language. Java developers are proficient in web development and other Java-based applications such as Mobile, Enterprise, and Scientific. Therefore, hands-on experience along with formal education is required to start a career as a Java developer.
DegreeMost employers prefer formal bachelor’s or master’s degrees. The most common and usually first requirement is to complete a degree in computer science, information technology, computer applications, or computer programming engineering. The specialized degree in computer and technology-related areas certifies Java language proficiency, roles, and responsibilities. In addition, these programs typically offer coursework that will qualify you to become a Java developer from a technical standpoint.
Universities all across the country, including major ones like Stanford and Carnegie Mellon University, offer graduate and postgraduate degree courses in computer science that will help you learn Java development.
CertificationsEven though companies prefer engineers with professional degrees in computer science, it certainly helps to have a Java certification that distinguishes you from other job applicants. Java certification especially helps young programmers with one or two years of experience.
Certificate programs require one year to complete. Employers prefer candidates who are certificate holders with a detailed understanding of software systems and the latest Java and computer technology advances. It is also good to have a working knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3, in addition to any Java-specific certificate.
Universities and colleges: From educational institutions as well-regarded as MIT to your local community college, such as Baltimore Community College, there are many online and offline Java courses. They offer programs in Java language, coding, syntax elements, in addition to other Java topics.
Industry-connected companies: Certifications in Java development from well-known, reputable companies like Oracle offer Java Programmer certified learnings in SE8 programming to validate your Java expertise to get you ahead in job hunting. Some certifications serve students best such as Microsoft MTA, and others like Amazon Web Services and Puppet test the skills you have developed through your career and the ones you’ve gained through the course.
For-profit educational industries: Several online educational platforms offer top courses on Java, learning that will help enhance your developer career. Udemy and Coursera have self-paced introductory java developer courses crafted for both experienced and fresher professionals.
Bootcamps: Many educational institutions, including universities and private companies such as Flatiron School and Kenzie Academy, offer online, short-term intensive training programs that provide students and entry-level professionals with job-ready tech skills, including the latest in Java.
Member associations: Becoming a member of groups like the Association of Software Professionals (ASP) or the Developers Alliance offer the chance to grow a strong network of industry professionals. These groups don’t have certifications, but they can help you find some that may work for you and provide opportunities to attend events, courses, and seminars to strengthen your skills and make connections. If you are a member of confident ethnic, gender, or socioeconomic groups, you could join tech-focused networks like Techqueria, Black Girls Code, or CODE2040.
Java Developer Resume-Writing Tips
Java development is a competitive area. Employers require candidates who can demonstrate proficiency in different programming languages and software. Therefore, a well-written Java developer resume is essential for a job search in the field.
Inclusion of Java developer-related keywords:Today, companies prefer applicant tracking system (ATS) software to sort and simplify the hiring process. ATS software identifies critical terms related to the job and scans resumes for specific skill-related keywords. If you don’t have the right keywords in the resume, the ATS will automatically discard the resume before reaching the hiring manager.
Quantify your achievements:Describe achievements in the experience section by quantifying their impact. You can do this by noting how much money the company has brought in using your tech, whether it was a public-facing code used by many people. Quantifying achievements makes it easy for recruiters to analyze your value.
How do I become a full-stack Java developer?
Why is Java in demand?
Java is a platform-independent language. Java developers can conveniently transition from one computer system to another. Java is widely used to power and develop most of our online sources because of its versatility, popularity, and usage. This is why many companies like Twitter, LinkedIn, Amazon, etc., rely on java to create a cohesive infrastructure to integrate their front-end and back-end processes.
What is the future of Java programming?
Despite being more than 20 years old, Java is still very popular, and its demand is expected to grow by up to 20% between 2020 to 2025. It has been speculated that in the coming years’ Java will play a significant role in the industry by continuing to be the most streamlined programming language. Therefore, diversify your java programming skills whether you are an expert or new to the programming world.